Calculating pagerank in NodeXL

Aug 5, 2013 at 4:26 PM
Hello

Can anyone advise here? If I have data describing the links between a set of web pages, stored in a text file or (run time) program, can NodeXL be used to determine the pagerank of each of the pages?

I have a set of about 500 pages.

Thanks

Martin O'Shea.
Coordinator
Aug 5, 2013 at 5:10 PM
Yes.

If you can get the data into a format that can be imported into NodeXL, calculating pagerank for each page (within the collected network) is easily calculated.

Try loading the text file into an Excel worksheet. Make sure the data is in separate columns and give the first row meaningful names.

Then, open a NodeXL template from the same Excel session. Navigate to the NodeXL menu and select NodeXL>Data>Import>From Open Workbook.

This will import the data you specify into the proper columns for analysis within NodeXL.
Regards,
-- Marc
Aug 6, 2013 at 12:35 PM
Thanks Marc. This may be useful. Can calculating PR in NodeXL be configured though? I mean can a user set a number of iterations to run the calculations for? Or, can users set a pre-defined criteria to govern the difference in iterations for convergence to work?
Aug 6, 2013 at 3:46 PM
Martin:

PageRank cannot be configured in NodeXL. It uses a maximum of 100 iterations, which is a default value set by the SNAP graph metrics library that NodeXL uses to calculate PageRank and other metrics. (SNAP is from Jure Leskovec's group at Stanford: http://snap.stanford.edu/ ).

-- Tony
Aug 6, 2013 at 4:20 PM
Tony

Thanks for the advice. I still may be able use NodeXL but being able to vary the convergence criteria is useful.

Martin O'Shea.