I am a beginner--am trying to enter manual twitter hashtag and it won't graph

Jul 16, 2013 at 7:59 PM
Edited Jul 16, 2013 at 7:59 PM
Hi I am a beginner. I am trying to analyze a hashtag that is too old to automatically import so I am trying to enter the information manually. I am entering each edge by who tweeted whom. Now it won't graph for me. What am I doing wrong? Sherrie
Jul 16, 2013 at 8:46 PM
Hello, Sherrie:

I assume that you typed information into NodeXL's Edges worksheet, clicked the Show Graph (or Refresh Graph) button, and nothing appeared in the graph pane on the right side of the Excel window. If that's the case, then one thing that might have gone wrong is that you typed the information into the wrong part of the worksheet. Did you start typing in the first empty row? The first edge's vertices should by typed into cells A3 and B3. If you start typing further down, NodeXL won't find your edges.

-- Tony
Jul 16, 2013 at 8:58 PM
Hi Tony
Thank you for contacting me! Show Graph and Refresh Graph don't work.
I entered the data underneath the edges that were calculated from the follower/follow data.
Do I need to erase that and only enter twitter info?
Or do I enter a NEW column of edges?
When I look in my excel file under edges, there is a Vertex 1 and vertex 2 column. I don't see an A3 or a B3 cell. ???
Jul 16, 2013 at 9:09 PM
Ah...by A3 you mean row 3 in column A and row 3 in column b. I will try erasing the earlier stuff and have only the twitter stuff in those columns and see if that works.
Jul 16, 2013 at 9:12 PM
Sherrie:

A3 and B3 are examples of how you refer to individual cells in an Excel worksheet. "A3" means the cell in row 3 of column A, for example. But you can ignore that for now, because I misunderstood what you are doing.

So you had some edges in the worksheet already, and then you typed in more edges. Please tell me two things:
  1. Before you typed in more edges, did Show Graph work? In other words, did you ever get a graph in the graph pane?
  2. When you typed in more edges, did the new edge rows get colored the same as the edge rows that were already there? New edge rows are supposed to get colored several shades of blue, except for the Vertex 1 and Vertex 2 cells. If the new edge rows are all white instead, that will tell me something about what's going wrong.
-- Tony
Jul 16, 2013 at 9:13 PM
Sherrie:

You do not need to erase anything. That is not the problem.

-- Tony
Jul 16, 2013 at 9:13 PM
Hi Tony
So I deleted the follow/following edges so that only the manually entered tweets were entered in edge columns beginning in cells A3 and B3. It still won't graph after I calculate graph metrics and then hit show graph.
Jul 16, 2013 at 9:14 PM
It says that the graph feature isn't available when a cell is being edited... ????
Jul 16, 2013 at 9:18 PM
Hi tony
It just types in white....
The graph was working before. I was able to sort follow/followers by groups and create a graph photo.
Now I can't get a graph at all.
Jul 16, 2013 at 9:23 PM
Hi Tony
Would it help if I sent you the file???
Jul 16, 2013 at 9:28 PM
Okay, that's useful information.

The edges you're typing aren't getting included in what's called the Edges table, which is the part of the worksheet that has colored rows. NodeXL ignores everything outside the Edges table, so it's not finding your typed edges.

There are two things that can cause this. The first is typing in the wrong place. You have to start typing into the first empty row of the table. If the last edge in the table is in row 40, for example, then you must start typing into row 41. If instead you type into row 42, your new edges will be ignored.

Are you typing into the first empty row? I'll wait to hear from you before I tell you the second possible cause.

-- Tony
Jul 16, 2013 at 9:29 PM
What I am trying to do is manually enter in the tweets of a hashtag (#1000daystogo) that happened too long ago for automatic download to work. I have attached the file where I have been trying to manually enter in the edges section who tweeted whom using the hashtag.
Jul 16, 2013 at 9:34 PM
My "okay, that's useful information" comment was referring to your "types in white" post, not "would it help if I sent you the file." You can't attach files here, so I didn't get what you sent. Anyway, I don't need it right now, thanks.

-- Tony
Jul 16, 2013 at 9:41 PM
well...I don't know what to say. From the beginning I typed into the next empty edges row. Now I've deleted everything above it so that it is A3 and B3 rows. Still nothing works
Jul 16, 2013 at 9:46 PM
I GOT IT TO WORK!!!!!! thank you!!!!!
Jul 16, 2013 at 9:54 PM
Okay, that rules out the first possible cause.

The second possible cause is that you have something called "auto table expansion" turned off in Excel. Normally, when you type into the first empty row, Excel automatically expands the table to include the new row. In NodeXL, you can see this happening when the new row gets colored several shades of blue. If auto table expansion is turned off, however, the table won't include your new row and NodeXL will ignore it. An all-white row is a sign that this is what's happening.

To turn on auto table expansion, do this:
  1. Go to Excel's options. In Excel 2007, click the round Office button in Excel's upper-left corner, then click the Excel Options button. In Excel 2010 and 2013, go to File, Options.
  2. Select Proofing, AutoCorrect Options.
  3. In the AutoCorrect dialog box, click the AutoFormat As You Type tab.
  4. Check "Include new rows and columns in table" and "Fill formulas in tables to create calculated columns."
Were the two checkboxes in step 4 already checked, or did you have to check them? If you had to check them, that should fix your problem.

-- Tony
Jul 16, 2013 at 9:59 PM
Can I ask one last question, Tony?
When I enter in edge A3 and B3 the same name, I get a circular tweet with an arrow (which is what I expected)
But when I enter a name in A3 and another in B3, there is an edge but it does not have an arrow showing directionality. And yet when I graph it, I ask it to show directionality.
Any advice????
Jul 16, 2013 at 10:20 PM
Edited Jul 16, 2013 at 10:21 PM
I assume that you have NodeXL, Graph, Type set to "Directed."

By default, the arrows on directed edges are very small. That's to avoid cluttering the graph. The arrow is at the "far" end of the edge--the B3 end in your case. Are you looking in the middle of the edge instead? That's not where it is.

You can make the arrows larger by right-clicking the graph pane, selecting Graph Options from the right-click menu, selecting the Edges tab in the Graph Options dialog box, and increasing the "Arrow size" setting.

-- Tony
Jul 16, 2013 at 10:22 PM
I already did that. The arrows on the self loop are huge. There are no arrows reflecting a directional relationship from A3 to B3 except for the self loops.
Jul 16, 2013 at 10:39 PM
On the Edges tab of the Graph Options dialog box, is "Curvature" set to "Bundled"? That will prevent arrows from showing.

-- Tony
Jul 17, 2013 at 2:25 PM
ahhhh...I did exactly that!!! THANK YOU! I prefer the bundling to the arrows, so I guess we'ee good then!