NodeXL does not install correctly

Jul 8, 2013 at 8:40 PM
Edited Jul 8, 2013 at 8:40 PM
Hi,

When I try to install NodeXL, ver. 1.01.245 I get the following message:

"Error 1001. The installation of the ClickOnce solution failed with exit code 400."

Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks.

Peter
Jul 9, 2013 at 3:38 AM
Peter:

Please do the following:
  1. Close all Excel windows.
  2. In Windows 7 or Vista, go to Control Panel, Programs and Features.
  3. In the search box at the upper-right corner of the Programs and Features window, search for the word "NodeXL."
  4. If any items show up in the search results, right-click each one and select "Uninstall" from the right-click menu.
  5. Run NodeXL's Setup program again.
-- Tony
Jul 9, 2013 at 6:55 PM
Hi Tony, Thanks for the reply. Sorry about the duplicate message. When I do the search that you suggest, it comes up that there is no such item. This is a brand new install of Windows 7. Confession: The first time I tried to install NodeXL Excel was running.
The subsequent 3 times Excel was not running. Is there possibly something left over from time #1? Peter
Jul 9, 2013 at 9:12 PM
Peter:

If you don't mind doing a little detective work, please do the following:
  1. Run the Setup.exe program again. When you get the "Error 1001: The installation of the ClickOnce solution failed" message, STOP. Do not close the error message.
  2. In Windows Explorer, navigate to one of these folders. Your computer will have only one of them: "C:\Program Files\Social Media Research Foundation\NodeXL Excel Template" or "C:\Program Files (x86)\Social Media Research Foundation\NodeXL Excel Template". If it's a new computer, it will probably be the second folder.
  3. Double-click this file: "Smrf.NodeXL.ExcelTemplate.vsto". You should get a message, probably with a "Details" button. Please copy the message and details here.
-- Tony
Jul 9, 2013 at 10:20 PM
Hi Tony, I tried installing again and this time it installed some Visual Studio stuff, which it hadn't in my other attempts, and is now working fine. I'm sorry for bugging you. Peter
Jul 9, 2013 at 10:31 PM
I'm glad it's working, Peter. Thanks for letting me know.

-- Tony
Jul 22, 2013 at 10:31 AM
hi, I have the same installing question of the software, would you mind teaching me how you solve this problem? thanks very much.
Jul 22, 2013 at 3:16 PM
Edited Jul 22, 2013 at 3:24 PM
First, please make sure that you are getting the same message that Peter reported in his original post, because there are several possible messages and it's important to know which one you're getting. Is this the message you get when you try to run the NodeXL Setup program?
 "Error 1001. The installation of the ClickOnce solution failed with exit code 400."
If so, then try the steps I listed in my first reply, which I'll copy here:
  2. In Windows 7 or Vista, go to Control Panel, Programs and Features.
  3. In the search box at the upper-right corner of the Programs and Features window, search for the word "NodeXL."
  4. If any items show up in the search results, right-click each one and select "Uninstall" from the right-click menu.
  5. Run NodeXL's Setup program again.
-- Tony
Jul 24, 2013 at 12:03 PM
Thanks for your guidence, I have done all your instruction above, and then, a command window suggested me as follows:"The following components failed to install:
  • Visual Studio Tools for the Office system 3.0 Runtime Service Pack 1
See the setup log file located at 'C:\Users\sony\AppData\Local\Temp\VSDCDC.tmp\install.log' for more information.
The specific information as follows:
The following properties have been set:
Property: [AdminUser] = true {boolean}
Property: [ProcessorArchitecture] = AMD64 {string}
Property: [VersionNT] = 6.0.0 {version}
Running checks for package 'Windows Installer 3.1', phase BuildList
The following properties have been set for package 'Windows Installer 3.1':
Running checks for command 'WindowsInstaller3_1\WindowsInstaller-KB893803-v2-x86.exe'
Result of running operator 'VersionGreaterThanOrEqualTo' on property 'VersionMsi' and value '3.1': true
Result of checks for command 'WindowsInstaller3_1\WindowsInstaller-KB893803-v2-x86.exe' is 'Bypass'
'Windows Installer 3.1' RunCheck result: No Install Needed
Running checks for package '.NET Framework 3.5 SP1', phase BuildList
Reading value 'SP' of registry key 'HKLM\Software\Microsoft\NET Framework Setup\NDP\v3.5'
Read integer value 1
Setting value '1 {int}' for property 'DotNet35SP'
The following properties have been set for package '.NET Framework 3.5 SP1':
Property: [DotNet35SP] = 1 {int}
Running checks for command 'DotNetFX35SP1\dotNetFx35setup.exe'
Result of running operator 'ValueGreaterThanEqualTo' on property 'DotNet35SP' and value '1': true
Result of checks for command 'DotNetFX35SP1\dotNetFx35setup.exe' is 'Bypass'
'.NET Framework 3.5 SP1' RunCheck result: No Install Needed
Running checks for package 'Microsoft Office 2007 Primary Interop Assemblies', phase BuildList
Running external check with command 'C:\Users\sony\AppData\Local\Temp\VSDCDC.tmp\Office2007PIARedist\ComponentCheck.exe' and parameters ''
Process exited with code 1
Setting value '1 {int}' for property 'PIAInstallAction'
The following properties have been set for package 'Microsoft Office 2007 Primary Interop Assemblies':
Property: [PIAInstallAction] = 1 {int}
Running checks for command 'Office2007PIARedist\o2007pia.msi'
Result of running operator 'ValueNotEqualTo' on property 'PIAInstallAction' and value '0': true
Result of checks for command 'Office2007PIARedist\o2007pia.msi' is 'Bypass'
'Microsoft Office 2007 Primary Interop Assemblies' RunCheck result: No Install Needed
Running checks for package 'Visual Studio Tools for the Office system 3.0 Runtime Service Pack 1', phase BuildList
Reading value 'Install' of registry key 'HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\VSTO Runtime Setup\v9.0.21022'
Read integer value 1
Setting value '1 {int}' for property 'VSTORuntimeInstalled'
Reading value 'Update' of registry key 'HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\VSTO Runtime Setup\v3'
Unable to read registry value
Not setting value for property 'VSTORuntimeUpdateInstalled'
The following properties have been set for package 'Visual Studio Tools for the Office system 3.0 Runtime Service Pack 1':
Property: [VSTORuntimeInstalled] = 1 {int}
Running checks for command 'VSTOR30\vstor30.exe'
Result of running operator 'ValueGreaterThanEqualTo' on property 'VSTORuntimeInstalled' and value '1': true
Result of checks for command 'VSTOR30\vstor30.exe' is 'Bypass'
Running checks for command 'VSTOR30\vstor30sp1-KB949258-x86.exe'
Skipping ByPassIf because Property 'VSTORuntimeUpdateInstalled' was not defined
Result of running operator 'ValueEqualTo' on property 'AdminUser' and value 'false': false
Result of checks for command 'VSTOR30\vstor30sp1-KB949258-x86.exe' is 'Install'
'Visual Studio Tools for the Office system 3.0 Runtime Service Pack 1' RunCheck result: Install Needed
EULA for components 'Visual Studio Tools for the Office system 3.0 Runtime Service Pack 1' was accepted.
Copying files to temporary directory "C:\Users\sony\AppData\Local\Temp\VSDCDC.tmp\"
Downloading files to "C:\Users\sony\AppData\Local\Temp\VSDCDC.tmp\"
(2013/7/24 19:57:49) Downloading 'VSTOR30\vstor30sp1-KB949258-x86.exe' from 'http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=120187' to 'C:\Users\sony\AppData\Local\Temp\VSDCDC.tmp\'
Download completed at 2013/7/24 19:57:50
Verifying file integrity of C:\Users\sony\AppData\Local\Temp\VSDCDC.tmp\VSTOR30\vstor30sp1-KB949258-x86.exe
WinVerifyTrust returned 0
File trusted
Running checks for package 'Visual Studio Tools for the Office system 3.0 Runtime Service Pack 1', phase BeforePackage
Reading value 'Install' of registry key 'HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\VSTO Runtime Setup\v9.0.21022'
Read integer value 1
Setting value '1 {int}' for property 'VSTORuntimeInstalled'
Reading value 'Update' of registry key 'HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\VSTO Runtime Setup\v3'
Unable to read registry value
Not setting value for property 'VSTORuntimeUpdateInstalled'
The following properties have been set for package 'Visual Studio Tools for the Office system 3.0 Runtime Service Pack 1':
Property: [VSTORuntimeInstalled] = 1 {int}
Running checks for command 'VSTOR30\vstor30sp1-KB949258-x86.exe'
Skipping ByPassIf because Property 'VSTORuntimeUpdateInstalled' was not defined
Result of running operator 'ValueEqualTo' on property 'AdminUser' and value 'false': false
Result of checks for command 'VSTOR30\vstor30sp1-KB949258-x86.exe' is 'Install'
'Visual Studio Tools for the Office system 3.0 Runtime Service Pack 1' RunCheck result: Install Needed
Verifying file integrity of C:\Users\sony\AppData\Local\Temp\VSDCDC.tmp\VSTOR30\vstor30sp1-KB949258-x86.exe
WinVerifyTrust returned 0
File trusted
Installing using command 'C:\Users\sony\AppData\Local\Temp\VSDCDC.tmp\VSTOR30\vstor30sp1-KB949258-x86.exe' and parameters ' /q:a /c:"install /q /l"'
Process exited with code -2147023291
Status of package 'Visual Studio Tools for the Office system 3.0 Runtime Service Pack 1' after install is 'InstallFailed'
Jul 25, 2013 at 12:28 AM
Thank you for the log, which is very helpful.

A piece of Microsoft software that NodeXL needs and that the NodeXL setup program automatically installs isn't working properly on your computer. It's called "Visual Studio Tools for the Office system 3.0 Runtime Service Pack 1."

Please try the following:
  2. Go to http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=1132, then download and run the file called vstor30sp1-KB949258-x86.exe.
  3. If you don't get any error messages in step 2, run NodeXL's setup program again.
-- Tony
Jul 25, 2013 at 1:18 AM
Dear Tony, I have installed the file as you told me, but, unfortunately, the error still exists. This time, I found the suggetion like this:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?>
<configuration>
<system.net>
<webRequestModules>
  <remove prefix="http:"/>
  <remove prefix="https:"/>
  <add prefix="http:"
       type="Microsoft.Office.BusinessApplications.Fba.HttpFbaRequestCreator,Microsoft.Office.BusinessApplications.Fba,Version=14.0.0.0,Culture=neutral,PublicKeyToken=71e9bce111e9429c" />
  <add prefix="https:"
       type="Microsoft.Office.BusinessApplications.Fba.HttpFbaRequestCreator,Microsoft.Office.BusinessApplications.Fba,Version=14.0.0.0,Culture=neutral,PublicKeyToken=71e9bce111e9429c" />
</webRequestModules>
</system.net>
</configuration>
Jul 26, 2013 at 3:40 PM
I don't think the suggestion you found applies to this particular problem.

I don't know what's preventing the Microsoft software from being installed on your computer. My best suggestion is to post a question on the Microsoft forum that is dedicated to VSTO (Vistual Studio Tools for Office), and see if someone there knows how to fix the installation problem. You can find the forum here:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/vstudio/en-US/home?forum=vsto

In your question, tell them that you are trying to install the "Visual Studio Tools for the Office system 3.0 Runtime Service Pack 1," and include the error message you get when you try to install it. (You didn't mention the latest error message here, but they will need to know that.)

Sorry I can't be of more help.

-- Tony
Sep 8, 2013 at 10:46 PM
Edited Sep 8, 2013 at 10:47 PM
Hi Tony,

After successfully installing NodeXL ver. 1.01.245 after the problem I wrote about before on this thread, I tried installing it on a different machine. I get the "Error 1001. The installation of the ClickOnce solution failed with exit code 400." message again. I tried all of the suggestions you gave us but nothing works on this machine. I am running Windows 7 Enterprise on a Lenovo E430.

I have tried deleting every mention of NodeXL I can find before reinstalling but still no luck. Can you suggest any other possible solutions?

Thanks.
Sep 9, 2013 at 4:23 PM
You seem to be cursed! If we get this second one working, I'll be interested to hear if there is anything similar between these two problematic machines that might explain the problem. Obviously, this isn't supposed to happen on one machine, much less two.

Please do the following:

1) Run the Setup.exe program again. When you get the "Error 1001: The installation of the ClickOnce solution failed" message, STOP. Do not close the error message.

2) In Windows Explorer, navigate to one of these folders. Your computer will have only one of them: "C:\Program Files\Social Media Research Foundation\NodeXL Excel Template" or "C:\Program Files (x86)\Social Media Research Foundation\NodeXL Excel Template". If it's a new computer, it will probably be the second folder.

3) Double-click this file: "Smrf.NodeXL.ExcelTemplate.vsto". You should get a message, probably with a "Details" button. Please copy the message and details here.

Thanks,
Tony
Oct 1, 2013 at 8:59 PM
Hi Tony, Sorry for the delay in replying. I am trying to write my PhD thesis and sometimes the demands of my advisor get demanding. Anyway, I did what you said (below). When I double click on Smrf.NodeXL.ExcelTemplate.vsto I get the message "The latest
version of this customization is already installed. There is no "Details" button, just the message. Peter
Oct 4, 2013 at 4:34 PM
Are you certain there is no entry in Control Panel, Programs and Features that includes the word "NodeXL"? The message is implying that there is. Please check again.

-- Tony
Oct 4, 2013 at 9:26 PM
Hi Tony, Yes, there is. Smrf.NodeXL.ExcelTemplate, ver. 1.0.1.245. I was fooled by the "Smrf." I can't find anything in Start Button > All Programs. Peter
Oct 5, 2013 at 3:13 AM
Hello, Peter:

There is a search box in the upper-right corner of Programs and Features, so you don't have to manually scan the list.

Please uninstall Smrf.NodeXL.ExcelTemplate and anything else that has "NodeXL in it, then try installing NodeXL again. (By uninstall, I mean right-click the item in Programs and Features and select "Uninstall".)

-- Tony
Oct 6, 2013 at 8:02 PM
Hi Tony, I deleted the two instances of Smrf.NodeXL.ExcelTemplate. According to the search, nothing else has NodeXL in the name. I then downloaded NodeXL ver. xx.245 and tried reinstalling. I got the same error message. Is there anything else I can try?
Thanks. Peter
Oct 8, 2013 at 5:34 AM
Edited Oct 8, 2013 at 5:35 AM
Peter:

There seems to be some piece of NodeXL leftover in what's called the "ClickOnce cache," which is the storage area in Windows where NodeXL gets installed. I don't know how that happened, but try these steps to fix it:

1) In the Windows Start menu, search for and open "command prompt".

2) In the Command Prompt window, enter the following text and then press Enter: rundll32 dfshim CleanOnlineAppCache

(You can right-click within the Command Prompt window and select Paste from the right-click menu rather than typing in the text.)

3) Try installing NodeXL again.

-- Tony

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2418542/clear-the-net-downloaded-application-cache-without-mage-exe