Node data sheets

Jun 15, 2013 at 8:35 PM
I see where you can add columns to the Vertices tab in order to add properties for individual nodes. Then, when you click on a node, it highlights the corresponding row in the table. What I would like to be able to do is to create a little properties sheet for each node that is accessible without having to look over at the table. Say a node was for a person, I would like to be able to click on the node and have a popup that told me their name/gender/age/etc. Is that possible?
Coordinator
Jun 15, 2013 at 9:37 PM
Thank you for the interest in NodeXL!

We do not have a node details popup feature in NodeXL.

However, you can construct a tooltip with any information you like and have that display for each node on mouse-over.

Regards,

Marc
Jun 16, 2013 at 4:10 AM
Where does the content for the tool tip go?
Coordinator
Jun 16, 2013 at 9:55 PM
Tooltips are directly set in the NodeXL Vertices Worksheet. You may need to expose these columns using the NodeXL>Show/Hide>Workbook Columns>Labels command. You will then find that column K is "Tooltip".

Tooltips are most easily configured using the NodeXL Autofill Columns feature. In Autofill Columns the Vertex tab has a row for Vertex Tooltip. This can be set, through the dropdown menu, to any value in the Vertices worksheet.

If you are comfortable with Excel formulas and can use the "&" operator, it is possible to string the contents of multiple cells together into a composite tooltip label. When building these composite tooltips you may find it useful to know that "&CHAR(10)&" acts as a carriage return in your label.

Regards,
Marc
Jun 17, 2013 at 5:04 AM
Excellent, thank-you.
Got it working, though it took me awhile to figure out why it wouldn't accept any of the formulas I tried to enter. Turns out the cells were locked in as text. So, I would enter a formula in, refresh, and the tooltip would show up as the formula (rather than the results of the formula). Had to unlock and reformat the cells as general. Then the formulas behaved as expected (took me awhile, don't think I've ever locked fields on a spreadsheet).
Jun 17, 2013 at 5:30 AM
If you ever run into that situation again, hover your mouse over the column header--"Tooltip" in your case. A window will pop up pointing out the formula issue.

Tooltip and a few other columns are formatted as Text rather than General because, believe it or not, there are vertices in this world named "=Something", for example. With General formatting, Excel tries to evaluate the formula and fails. With Text formatting, Excel doesn't look for formulas. We ran into this several times before we switched those columns to Text.

-- Tony
Jun 17, 2013 at 3:49 PM
I did find a tooltip describing this issue on the edges sheet shortly after I had figured out what the problem was, but I did not see it in the popup description of the Tooltips column.

Understand fully the auto evaluation issues in Excel. That is probably one of the most poorly implemented things within Excel. My favorite example is when you try to import a delimited file that contains a field with some sort of long numeric value. If you let Excel do what it wants with them, it will often auto-convert them over to scientific notation, losing the actual values. And then, even if you force the import to treat the column as text, it comes in correctly (value-wise) but then you get those stupid warning flags on every single cell telling you (and calling it an error) that it looks like you have a number in a text field and you really should change it to a number field (and lose precision).
Jun 17, 2013 at 6:01 PM
Yes, Excel's attempts to be helpful can sometimes be maddening.

-- Tony