Vertex Images

Jun 15, 2013 at 4:45 PM
Looking at the Image File column under the Vertices tab, I see two choices, full path or URL.

I need to make files which are self-contained and easily portable. Is it possible to embed the image directly into the excel/nodexl file? Perhaps as a base 64 encoding of the image?
Jun 15, 2013 at 6:33 PM
You can't do that today--the images have to reside in separate files on your computer or on a website. It sounds like a useful feature, though. I'll add it to our feature request list.

Thanks,
Tony
Jun 15, 2013 at 8:08 PM
Thank-you.

Yes, seems like anything that makes the files more self-contained/portable would be useful.
Jun 15, 2013 at 8:35 PM
Note that you can use relative paths for image files that are stored on disk. If you enter "MyImage.jpg" into the Image File cell and you put the MyImage.jpg file into the same folder where you saved the workbook, then NodeXL will find and use the image. That at least allows you to package a workbook and its images into a single folder, and you can copy the folder to another computer and have it work there, too.

-- Tony
Jun 16, 2013 at 4:08 AM
Excellent. That helps (meant to ask about relative paths).
Jan 13 at 1:26 PM
If I understand well, the image file of a node does not show up in the graph, correct? though a square shows up but without a picture.
Anyhow, I have not seen any graph visualization in the NodeXL Gallery with profile pictures. I am applying NodeXL to art historical data and pictures of the artists would enhance the value of the graphs.
Coordinator
Jan 13 at 3:01 PM
Edited Jan 13 at 3:02 PM
Hello,
If I understand well, the image file of a node does not show up in the graph, correct? though a square shows up but without a picture.
Not correct. Images show up in the graph. To add an image you have to fill column F (Image File) of the Vertices worksheet with an image URL that either resides on the web or locally. Then click "Graph Options" on the Document Actions pane (right pane). Select the second tab (Vertices) and select "Image" for the "Shape" property. This should set all vertices to be represented by their image.
Anyhow, I have not seen any graph visualization in the NodeXL Gallery with profile pictures. I am applying NodeXL to art historical data and pictures of the artists would >enhance the value of the graphs.
All networks uploaded by NodeXLExcelAutomator or marc_smith, display an image as vertex (although it is small) http://nodexlgraphgallery.org/Pages/Graph.aspx?graphID=60340

Regards,
Arber
Jan 13 at 3:11 PM
If I well understood your problem, it's something that I similarly had during several days. For me, the solution came following the model proposed by Messara in :
http://nasri.messarra.com/analyzing-twitter-data-with-nodexl/
Daniel deOliveira
Coordinator
Jan 13 at 6:32 PM
Edited Jan 13 at 7:41 PM
NodeXL can present images as vertex shapes.

A red "X" in a box in place of an image is an indication that the pointer to the image file is invalid or the image file itself is corrupt.

Marc