Directly connected verticles

Jun 9, 2013 at 4:39 PM
I want to connect many verticles with each other, without a central entity. Is this possible? If so how do I do it?

Ex:
name link
asd:1 1
asd:2 1
asd:3 1

Default an edge is created from all entity's to a central entity named 1.
But I want all with link 1 to connect with separate edges to each other based on the link property. So basically a closed circle instead of a star like figure.
Coordinator
Jun 9, 2013 at 5:36 PM
A "ring" of ten vertices can be expressed in the form of an edge list:

1, 2
2, 3
3, 4
4, 5
5, 6
6, 7
7, 8
8, 9
9, 10
10, 1
Jun 9, 2013 at 6:03 PM
Sorry Im bad at explaining! Also i forgot to mention that I have real data Im basing my model on.

Im not trying to get a certain figure. Im trying to get all related data to connect to each other and not through a central vertice.
Jun 9, 2013 at 6:29 PM
Please clarify what you need. If your real data consists of the three vertices A, B and C, then what do you want your edge list to look like? Is this the answer?

A, B
A, C
B, C

...or something else?

-- Tony
Jun 10, 2013 at 2:35 AM
If my guess was correct, then see "How to Create an Edge List From a List of Items" at http://nodexl.codeplex.com/workitem/21664.

-- Tony
Jun 10, 2013 at 8:54 AM
Lets say i have 5 vertices. Each vertices is a car brand. Lets also say one of these cars are a collaboration between two car brands, resulting in two brands. I want all the vertices with the same brand to link up, making the edge based on brand.

car 1, saab
car 2, volvo
car 2, saab
car 3, saab
car 4, volvo
car 5, saab

Making car 1 connect to car 2,3 and 5. Car 2 also connects to car 4. I don't want a central vertices for ex. saab or volvo, but direct edges between the cars.

Hope that makes sense. Thanks!
Jun 10, 2013 at 3:29 PM
Edited Jun 10, 2013 at 6:06 PM
There isn't anything built into NodeXL that will create those edges for you. Given the specialized nature of your requirements (for each set of vertices on the Vertices worksheet that have the same value in a Brands column, create a set of edges on the Edges worksheet that connect those vertices), I suspect you're going to need some custom programming to get the job done. The custom program would be simple and could be written in any number of languages. If it were me, I would implement a VBA macro (Visual Basic for Applications is Excel's built-in programming language) that reads the vertices on the Vertices worksheet, compares the Brands cells, and writes the desired edges directly to the Edges worksheet.

But I don't know how to do that without custom software.

-- Tony
Jun 12, 2013 at 8:27 AM
Hi, Thanks for your comments. I really enjoyed this software and will be using it for other things. I was just hoping it could do this as well :p

Ill probably just do a model in netlogo, that will probably do the trick!

Thanks!