Does NodeXL accept Arabic Hashtags ? If Yes, How?

May 28, 2013 at 5:01 PM
Hello all,
I'm trying to conduct a SNA on Twitter Hashtags written in Arabic Language. When I go to Import --> From twitter search network --> and then I type any active Arabic hashtags, the following message pops up:
"There are no people in that network"

What seems to be the problem ?
I appreciate you help.
Coordinator
May 28, 2013 at 5:07 PM
Hello!

Thank you for the interest in NodeXL!

Yes, NodeXL should work with Arabic or any other Unicode language. Have you tested the query term at http://search.twitter.com? If you do get results there but not in NodeXL, can you describe the settings for your installation (Versions of Windows and Office, etc...)?

Regards,
Marc
May 28, 2013 at 9:27 PM
Thanks for you reply.
I did what you suggested and the same problem occurs. In fact, the same problem happens in my friend's laptop.

I have Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
Service Pack 1
Office 2010

Please advice in the issue, and how to make this work. It is for research popuses.
Thanks
May 29, 2013 at 6:08 PM
I tried this myself with an Arabic hashtag, and it indeed yielded an empty graph. I'll have to investigate the problem. (I'm the NodeXL programmer.) I'm not sure if it's related to the right-to-left direction of Arabic, or if there is something else going on. In any case, the Twitter Search Network doesn't work with Arabic in the current version of NodeXL.

Thank you for reporting this bug.

-- Tony
Jun 4, 2013 at 1:43 AM
There is one solution I figured out, and it seems to be working. Change the Arabic hashtag letters and symbols to percent-encoded hashtag.
For example:
#جدة this is a an arabic hashtag for the saudi city Jeddah. When you change it to percent-encodning, it will become : %23%D8%AC%D8%AF%D8%A9

use this one in NodeXL and it will work fine.

Thank you.
Jun 4, 2013 at 10:15 PM
What a hassle!

Thanks for letting me know your solution. When I have time to try to fix the bug, it may provide me with a good clue as to why unencoded Arabic isn't working today.

-- Tony
Jul 3, 2013 at 10:23 PM
Hi all,
I have been using NodeXL for a while and I was able to import data in Arabic from twitter. NodeXL had no problems at all with unencoded Arabic. This problem is true for Version June 19, 2013 and the version prior that. If you have earlier versions you should be able import data in Arabic.

Adil
Nov 4, 2013 at 5:53 PM
Hi all,

I have tested the search in English & Arabic for specific PhD project on social media, and I'm suprised that it works not all the times. I don't really fix the reason why right now, may be the police used, the term in arabic without hashtag or not, etc... It seems working on the Twitter search, but sometimes not in the NodeXL Twitter search window.

I use to test the Twitter search option : Term in english OR term in arabic OR hashtag in english OR hashtag in arabic. I noticed that with new Twitter API we could search also by language, so my question is : how could it be possible to extend my search with a language choice in arabic and english for example ?

I have also noticed that you are limited in number of characters in the Twitter search import window in NodeXL. Do you know the limitations ? Is is related to Twitter search API limitations ?

I have just checked this interesting post on Twitter language search options here : http://tweetreports.com/product-updates/filter-twitter-search-language/ , and I think it could be nice to implement it in the NodeXL Import Twitter search options.

Kind regards Tony and Hello to Marc.

Cyrille alias SONEINT alias @Soc_Net_Intel
Nov 12, 2013 at 4:22 PM
Hi all,
I tried to use the percent-encodning but still just work for a word or two, but when u have a hashtag or key words consist of several words , it gives the same error, no results

kindly, if any one solve this issue with Arabic email me back amalkaau@yahoo.com. Thanks

Amal
Nov 12, 2013 at 5:12 PM
Hi,

Search box in NodeXL is limited in number of digit. Arabic symbols converted in percent encoding are long, so it may be possible that multiple Arabic terms search won't work, even in Twitter.

Hope it would help.

Cyrille

Le 12 nov. 2013 à 17:22, amalcs <[email removed]> a écrit :

Hi all,
I tried to use the percent-encodning but still just work for a word or two, but when u have a hashtag or key words consist of several words , it gives the same error, no results

kindly, if any one solve this issue with Arabic email me back [email removed]. Thanks

Amal
Feb 28, 2014 at 4:39 PM
I have the same problem, I get no results with Arabic hashtags, when I converted them to percent encoding using this tool http://www.url-encode-decode.com/, I got English results that has nothing to do with the Arabic hashtag.
Mar 5, 2014 at 3:16 PM
Same Here, I guess with the update, I just checked all the tweets were not from that hashtags and they were not Arabic! If any one solved this problem please email me amalkaau@yahoo.com ... so even with encoding we can't get the tweets from that hashtags!
Mar 5, 2014 at 3:27 PM
Ohhh guess the problem with the encoding tool, try this one http://meyerweb.com/eric/tools/dencoder/
Mar 5, 2014 at 4:32 PM