No Edges

May 27, 2013 at 2:04 PM
When using either the Twitter List option or Search option, I get the message that part of the network has been retrieved. However, there are no edges, only vertices returned. This is not the case when I do a Twitter User search. Any reason or remedy for this?

Many thanks!
May 27, 2013 at 4:36 PM
Do you get edges when you use the default settings in the Import from Twitter Search Network dialog box? (The default settings in the latest version of NodeXL are to search for "NodeXL", with edges added for each "Replies-to" relationship, "Mentions" relationship, and "Tweet that is not a replies-to or mentions".) That will tell me if there is some fundamental problem going on involving edges, or if it just involves your particular settings.

Also, please tell me the settings you are using in the Import from Twitter Search Network dialog box that don't provide edges. I'll try those settings here to see if I can tell what's going on.

-- Tony
May 28, 2013 at 12:50 AM
I did get edges using the default and then adjusted other settings. Had the Limit set too high, apparently. I'd received edges on an earlier one of around 3,000, so I set the it there again. But 1,500 seems to be the highest number I can put in that box where it will retrieve edges. I guess Twitter will randomly return more or less at times?

Many thanks,
charlton
May 28, 2013 at 2:13 AM
I guess I spoke too soon. Waited an hour to do another search. Search term: Chicago Public Schools; Checked first three Edge options, limit, 1500, checked add tweet column and expand url. No edges delivered with that one.

charlton
May 28, 2013 at 3:25 PM
Edited May 28, 2013 at 3:34 PM
Charlton:

If you have the first three checkboxes checked (Replies-to relationship, Mentions relationship, and Tweet that is not a replies-to or mentions), then if the network has vertices, it must also have some edges. (Unless there is some weird bug in this part of the program that I haven't heard of until now, that is.) In your Chicago Public Schools example, I got 1,519 edges.

Are you reading the Edges worksheet correctly? If you get a network with a lot of edges, scroll to the bottom of the Edges worksheet, and then get a new network that has fewer edges, the worksheet will not automatically scroll back to the top. That makes it look like there are no edges, but it's only because you're looking at an empty part of the worksheet. If you scroll to the top, the edges will be there.

-- Tony
May 28, 2013 at 3:33 PM
By the way, the version of NodeXL that you are using will stop getting Twitter networks on June 11, due to some changes that Twitter made in their servers. You can fix this by downloading and installing the latest version of NodeXL.

You can read about this in "Changes in NodeXL's Twitter Importers," at http://nodexl.codeplex.com/discussions/437841.

-- Tony
May 28, 2013 at 3:48 PM
Thanks Tony. I am running the latest version, 1.0.1.238, correct? And still for some reason no edges on the Chicago Public Schools search. Every other search that I've run is delivering edges, but this one still doesn't - scrolling as you mentioned to the very top of the worksheet, but still nothing in the edges tab, but a list of vertices are delivered.
May 28, 2013 at 6:46 PM
It's a bug in NodeXL. It will be fixed in the next release. In the meantime, you can work around it by unchecking "Expand URLs in tweets."

Here is the bug description, from the NodeXL release notes:

"Bug fix: In the Twitter networks, if you checked "Expand URLs in tweets" and a malformed URL was provided by Twitter, you would get a "Partial Network" message and then the graph would have no edges. Now, NodeXL doesn't attempt to expand the bad URL."

In your particular case, someone named "shadowbottle" tweeted an URL that Twitter reported to NodeXL as "twitter.com/nsm", and NodeXL failed to detect the missing "http://" part.

Many thanks for reporting this bug, Charlton.

-- Tony
May 29, 2013 at 6:54 PM
Glad to help, Tony. Thank you.