Making Twitter Network with Twitter API

May 19, 2013 at 4:22 AM
Edited May 19, 2013 at 4:24 AM
Hi, everyone! Can I ask one question?

I have a big big problem with making tiwtter network.

I am doing my class assignment with NodeXL book, and I am stuck in Figure 10.17 on page 157-158.

I couldn't find Twitter replies/metions API. I clicked URL which book suggests on page 157, but it said "could not authenticate you."

So, my request is... how can I get replies and mentions from Twitter and put these things to my network? ;)

Ah, I am using the latest version! and it takes too long time to collect twitter network ;0;
May 19, 2013 at 7:00 PM
Edited May 19, 2013 at 7:36 PM
I'm not sure I understand your question, but I'll assume from your subject line that you are a programmer attempting to use the Twitter API in your own application.

NodeXL gets mentions and replies-to information by calling Twitter's "GET search/tweets" API, which is documented at https://dev.twitter.com/docs/api/1.1/get/search/tweets.

Twitter provides a "user_mentions" collection of "entities" in the response that you can use for the mentions, along with an "in_reply_to_user_id" element. Those might be what you're looking for.

(NodeXL doesn't use "user_mentions" or "in_reply_to_user_id," partly for historical reasons. Instead, it looks at the "text" element in the response, which is the tweet text, and manually parses it to pull out any mentions and replies-to in the tweet.)

If that doesn't answer your question, please clarify what it is you're asking for.

-- Tony
May 19, 2013 at 8:56 PM
Thanks!! this is what I am looking for!
However.... I am not a programmer;ㅁ; so... I think I can not use your advice.
Anyway, I got answer, Thanks!

ps... Sorry for my poor English skill;0 I didn't mean to confuse you.
Coordinator
May 20, 2013 at 3:22 AM
Hello!

The caption on FIGURE 10.17 of the book Analyzing social media networks with NodeXL: Insights from a connected world reads:

"The @vlad43210 1.5-degree egocentric Twitter net- work. Greener vertices have higher eigenvector centrality, and larger vertices have higher betweenness centrality. Thicker edges correspond to users that @reply to @vlad43210 or mention his username in one of their tweets."

The URL on page 157 points to https://twitter.com/statuses/mentions.xml - this page no longer exists on Twitter.

In order to collect a network from Twitter, please try the NodeXL>Data>Import>From Twitter... options from the menu.

Feel free to clarify your question if these responses do not address your need.

Regards,
Marc
May 20, 2013 at 5:09 AM
Thank you~ I'm so impressed with your effort and concern!! ;)