Total count of Likes/Comments

May 3, 2013 at 4:49 AM
If I'm getting user post networks for comments and likes, is there an easy way to get the total number of comments and likes for a post? Could columns be added to the vertices sheet that contain sums for the comments and likes for each post?
  • Tom
Coordinator
May 3, 2013 at 4:05 PM
Tom:

I don't know the location of your data or exactly how you want to count it, but in general, the Excel function called COUNTIF() might be useful. It counts the number of cells in a specified range that satisfy a specified criterion. For example, I can count the number of rows in my Edges worksheet that have a Relationship cell value of "Mentions" by using this formula:
=COUNTIF(Edges[Relationship], "Mentions")
The COUNTIF() function is explained here:
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/excel-help/countif-function-HP010342346.aspx
-- Tony
May 3, 2013 at 7:50 PM
Tony,

Thanks, that got me almost all the way to what I wanted. I wanted to count the number of rows in my Edges worksheet that had a Vertex 2 value equal to the Vertex value on the Vertices worksheet for each row. So, what that gives me is for each Post vertex on the Vertices worksheet I have a number that counts the number of users related to that post by a Like (assuming I downloaded the user post network for likes).

So now I have a formula like this: COUNTIF(Edges[Vertex 2], A4)
  • Tom