Problem Installing on Parallels

Jan 15, 2009 at 12:32 AM
Hello,

I'm trying to install NodeXL under Parallels on an iMac, the virtual machine is Windows XP.  The install seems to go smoothly, but then when I run the template I get:

"The customization assembly could not be loaded....."

I'll paste the details below.  I've tried repairing, uninstalling and reinstalling, and several other options.  Excel will let me into the template but I don't have the NodeXL toolbar.  I've tried many different options of starting up multiple copies at once etc. And at one point I was able to see the toolbar, but I have not been able to reproduce the actions that led to that.  Any Advice?
Thanks,
Bill

Invalid URI: The hostname could not be parsed.

************** Exception Text **************
System.UriFormatException: Invalid URI: The hostname could not be parsed.
   at System.Uri.CreateThis(String uri, Boolean dontEscape, UriKind uriKind)
   at System.Uri..ctor(String uriString)
   at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Tools.Office.Runtime.OfficeAddInDeploymentManager.OnAddInInstalling(AddInInstallingArgs args, Boolean& cancel)
   at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Tools.Applications.Deployment.ClickOnceAddInDeploymentManager.RaiseOnAddInInstallingEvent(IClickOnceAddInInstaller addInInstaller, Uri deploymentManifestUri, AddInInstallationStatus addinSolutionState, String productName, Boolean alreadyInstalled)
   at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Tools.Applications.Deployment.ClickOnceAddInDeploymentManager.InstallAddIn()

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
mscorlib
    Assembly Version: 2.0.0.0
    Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.3053 (netfxsp.050727-3000)
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v2.0.50727/mscorlib.dll
----------------------------------------
Microsoft.VisualStudio.Tools.Office.Runtime.v9.0
    Assembly Version: 9.0.0.0
    Win32 Version: 9.0.30729.1
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/Microsoft.VisualStudio.Tools.Office.Runtime.v9.0/9.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/Microsoft.VisualStudio.Tools.Office.Runtime.v9.0.dll
System
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll
System.Core
    Assembly Version: 3.5.0.0
    Win32 Version: 3.5.30729.1 built by: SP
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Core/3.5.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Core.dll
System.AddIn
    Win32 Version: 3.5.30729.1 built by: SP
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.AddIn/3.5.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.AddIn.dll
Microsoft.VisualStudio.Tools.Applications.Hosting.v9.0
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/Microsoft.VisualStudio.Tools.Applications.Hosting.v9.0/9.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/Microsoft.VisualStudio.Tools.Applications.Hosting.v9.0.dll
Microsoft.VisualStudio.Tools.Applications.ServerDocument.v9.0
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/Microsoft.VisualStudio.Tools.Applications.ServerDocument.v9.0/9.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/Microsoft.VisualStudio.Tools.Applications.ServerDocument.v9.0.dll
Microsoft.VisualStudio.Tools.Applications.Runtime.v9.0
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/Microsoft.VisualStudio.Tools.Applications.Runtime.v9.0/9.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/Microsoft.VisualStudio.Tools.Applications.Runtime.v9.0.dll
System.Windows.Forms
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll
System.Drawing
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll
System.Deployment
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Deployment/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Deployment.dll

Jan 15, 2009 at 10:30 PM

Bill:

The details tell me that Excel is having a problem understanding the name of the folder where you installed NodeXL.  On standard Windows machines, the default folder is "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Research\Microsoft NodeXL Excel Template."  I haven't used Parallels before.  Does Parallels give you some sort of virtual drive without a drive letter, and did you use that when installing NodeXL?

-- Tony

Jan 15, 2009 at 11:07 PM
Hi Tony,

Thanks for your quick response.  Parallels does create a "network" drive so you can access your Mac files, but it also has a standard drive as well.  I am running the NodeXL install with its defaults from inside the Windows XP Parallels window.  I've tried running it both from either the network drive (Z:) or the local drive (C:), either way it causes the problems I describe above when I install to the default location on c.  If I try and install to Z then I get another error "Error 1001. Unable to create an instance...That assembly does not allow partially trusted callers".  The weird thing is if I install to C: I can see the files and everything using cmd, e.g., I can do a "dir C:\Program Files\Microsoft Research\Microsoft NodeXL Excel Template" and everything appears to be there.  Any suggestions?  Thanks again for your help,
Bill

Jan 19, 2009 at 5:57 PM
Bill:

In researching this, the one clue I've found is in another forum posting:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/forums/en-US/vsto/thread/ec0f5f44-f67c-4fe3-b84e-44b83f52df05/

What is the name of your computer?  If you don't know it, go to Start, Settings, Control Panel, System; click the "Computer Name" tab; and look for "full computer name."  (Or, if you happen to use command windows, type "hostname" at a command prompt.)

-- Tony
Jan 22, 2009 at 9:52 PM
Hello Tony,

Sorry for taking awhile to get back to you, but the inauguration wound up forcing me to work for home from a few days and this machine is at the office.  Anyway, the computer name is "williamrand234b."  I'm still having the same problem, regardless of where I try to install to.  I did do an update recently, and I've now noticed that NodeXL gives me an additional error on startup.  Before it gives me the "The customization assembly could not be loaded..." It pops up a new window that says "Installing Office customization  There was an error during installation.  Name:   From:   An error occurred during customization install.  To rememdy this problem, click details for more information..."  If I click details I get the Invalid URI mentioned above.

Any thoughts?
Thanks in advance,
Bill
Feb 5, 2009 at 5:51 PM
Edited Feb 5, 2009 at 6:11 PM
I don't know the cause of this, although I suspect that somehow Parallel's "\.Psf" share name is getting used as the computer name.  (A period is illegal in a computer name, aka hostname, and that's what the error message is pointing to as the problem.)

I've posted this bug to one of the Microsoft technical forums and will monitor the forum for responses.

-- Tony

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vsto/thread/99217abd-b7f4-4232-8bce-43b9e7e7af96
Feb 5, 2009 at 7:16 PM
Here is the reply I received from the Microsoft forum moderator:

ok, i'm way out of my league here, but i called a friend who does Parallels support at a different company.

he suggested that you make sure the network connection on the Mac works.  then make sure Parallels networking works.  if everything's OK, go into Devices and choose Network.  if it's set to Shared, try Default.  wait a minute and test the networking again. if it's set to Default, try Shared.

if that doesn't work, try updating to the latest Parallels tools.

if that doesn't work, i can only suggest going to the Parallels forum at http://forum.parallels.com/

m.

If changing the Parallels shared/default network mode doesn't fix the problem, let me know and I'll post a question to the forum at Parallels.

-- Tony
Apr 8, 2009 at 10:52 PM
Hi Tony,

I apologize that it has taken so long to get back to you, but I am teaching NodeXL in class tomorrow, and I wanted to let you know that I finally got it working on my parallels installation.  The changes suggested below did not seem to help, but if I disabled "Share Mac OS X folders with Windows" in the Virtual Machine -> Configuration -> Shared Folders, then install NodeXL, it seems to work fine.  I was even able to enable Shared folders after I had installed NodeXL and I can still access it.  So I think you were right the ".psf" is confusing the install somehow.
Thanks again for all of your help,
Bill

On Thu, Feb 5, 2009 at 3:17 PM, tcap479 <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

Here is the reply I received from the Microsoft forum moderator:

ok, i'm way out of my league here, but i called a friend who does Parallels support at a different company.

he suggested that you make sure the network connection on the Mac works.  then make sure Parallels networking works.  if everything's OK, go into Devices and choose Network.  if it's set to Shared, try Default.  wait a minute and test the networking again. if it's set to Default, try Shared.

if that doesn't work, try updating to the latest Parallels tools.

if that doesn't work, i can only suggest going to the Parallels forum at http://forum.parallels.com/

m.

If changing the Parallels shared/default network mode doesn't fix the problem, let me know and I'll post a question to the forum at Parallels.

-- Tony

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (NodeXL@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email NodeXL@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com

--
Asst. Prof. in Marketing, Decision, Operations & Information Technology, and Computer Science
Director of Research, Center for Complexity in Business, http://www.rhsmith.umd.edu/ccb/

Sent from College Park, Maryland, United States
Apr 10, 2009 at 4:46 PM
Thanks for letting me know the outcome, Bill.  Now I know what to tell others who run into the same problem.

-- Tony
Sep 23, 2009 at 4:05 AM

Hi,

I was getting the "assembly cannot be found" error when I installed with sharing enabled through VMWare Fusion. After finding this thread, I disabled sharing and was able to install and use NodeXL, no problem. When I turn sharing back on, I do not have the same success that Bill did - I get the "assembly cannot be found" error again, and the output is:

Invalid URI: The hostname could not be parsed.

************** Exception Text **************
System.UriFormatException: Invalid URI: The hostname could not be parsed.
   at System.Uri.CreateThis(String uri, Boolean dontEscape, UriKind uriKind)
   at System.Uri..ctor(String uriString)
   at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Tools.Office.Runtime.OfficeAddInDeploymentManager.OnAddInInstalling(AddInInstallingArgs args, Boolean& cancel)
   at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Tools.Applications.Deployment.ClickOnceAddInDeploymentManager.RaiseOnAddInInstallingEvent(IClickOnceAddInInstaller addInInstaller, Uri deploymentManifestUri, AddInInstallationStatus addinSolutionState, String productName, Boolean alreadyInstalled)
   at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Tools.Applications.Deployment.ClickOnceAddInDeploymentManager.InstallAddIn()

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
mscorlib
    Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.4918 (NetFXspW7.050727-4900)
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v2.0.50727/mscorlib.dll
Microsoft.VisualStudio.Tools.Office.Runtime.v9.0
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/Microsoft.VisualStudio.Tools.Office.Runtime.v9.0/9.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/Microsoft.VisualStudio.Tools.Office.Runtime.v9.0.dll
System
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll
System.Core
    Win32 Version: 3.5.30729.4918 built by: NetFXw7
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Core/3.5.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Core.dll
System.AddIn
    Win32 Version: 3.5.30729.4918 built by: NetFXw7
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.AddIn/3.5.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.AddIn.dll
Microsoft.VisualStudio.Tools.Applications.Hosting.v9.0
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/Microsoft.VisualStudio.Tools.Applications.Hosting.v9.0/9.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/Microsoft.VisualStudio.Tools.Applications.Hosting.v9.0.dll
Microsoft.VisualStudio.Tools.Applications.ServerDocument.v9.0
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/Microsoft.VisualStudio.Tools.Applications.ServerDocument.v9.0/9.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/Microsoft.VisualStudio.Tools.Applications.ServerDocument.v9.0.dll
Microsoft.VisualStudio.Tools.Applications.Runtime.v9.0
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/Microsoft.VisualStudio.Tools.Applications.Runtime.v9.0/9.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/Microsoft.VisualStudio.Tools.Applications.Runtime.v9.0.dll
System.Windows.Forms
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll
System.Drawing
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll
System.Deployment
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Deployment/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Deployment.dll

Does that seem like a sharing, shared host name issue? Since I can get it to work with sharing disabled, it's not a deal-breaker, just an inquiry. Thanks for all the hard work!

Summary:

In VMWare Fusion, with sharing disabled, NodeXL installs and runs OK.

In VMWare Fusion, with sharing enabled, NodeXL returns assembly cannot be found error.

Sep 23, 2009 at 6:17 PM

I'm glad you were able to work around the problem (and it certainly does sound like a host name issue), but I'm afraid I'm not going to be of much help in figuring out whether NodeXL can be made to work with sharing enabled, as I don't have access to a VMWare Fusion machine to try to figure it out.  Perhaps there are other Fusion users who might be able to shed some light on this.

In any case, thank you for posting your results.  We now have at least a partial answer for others who run into the same problem.

-- Tony