import incidence matrix

Apr 26, 2013 at 9:34 AM
Hi all,

I’m new to NodeXL and I am wondering whether there is a better way of importing my data than the way I have been attempting to do it. I have an affiliation/incidence matrix in Ucinet’s dl format that I’d like to import.

a.) Does NodeXL allow the import of non-symmetric matrices only in the ‘edgelist format’ via the ‘import from open workbook’ command?
I was trying to import my incidence matrix (full matrix) via the ‘import from ucinet’ command, but it always gives an error. When I repeated the same procedure for a symmetric event x event matrix, it worked just fine.
So I copied and pasted my edgelist into an excel workbook and imported via the ‘import from open workbook’ command. Is there a way to import my incidence matrix directly from ucinet?

b.) And what would be the best way to import vertex attributes from a ucinet attributes file, again relating to that same incidence matrix? I did this via vlookup in excel, but am wondering if there is another way?

Any comments very much appreciated. Thanks!
Apr 27, 2013 at 3:29 AM
Edited Apr 27, 2013 at 3:37 AM

NodeXL can directly import UCINET data only if it's in what UCINET calls the "full matrix DL file" format. You said you tried that but you got an error. What was the error message? (Note that you can often press Ctrl-C to copy NodeXL error messages into the Windows Clipboard, so you might be able to paste the full message here without having to type anything.)

I'm not familiar with UCINET attributes files, but NodeXL definitely can't import them directly. It sounds like you found a way to manage them using VLOOKUP.

Have you seen the Import from Open Matrix Workbook item on the Import menu? It's another way of importing either symmetric or non-symmetric matrices. I don't know if that would be helpful with your particular data, but you might take a look at it.

-- Tony