Coding Isolates - Closed network

Apr 24, 2013 at 9:57 PM
Hi Mark,
I’ve just began using NodeXL. I’m examining the health advice-seeking interactions among mothers with children under five in a rural community in Vanuatu. What do I enter in Vertex 2 when a mother has not sought health advice from anyone in the network? The program will not allow a blank cell and “zero” appears incorrectly as a node. These mothers should appear as islolates on the sociogram.
Apr 24, 2013 at 10:10 PM
Here is how you can enter isolated vertices into a NodeXL workbook. I copied this from the "Graphs with Isolated Vertices" topic at NodeXL, Help, Help.

-- Tony

Some graphs have isolated vertices, or isolates, which are vertices that are not connected to any edges. If your graph has isolates, you have to take special action to get them to appear in the Graph Pane.

To add an isolated vertex to the graph:
  1. Select the Vertices worksheet.
  2. Enter the name of the vertex in the first empty cell in the Vertex column.
  3. Set the Visibility cell for the new vertex row to Show. If you don't see a Visibility column on the Vertices worksheet, show the Visual Properties column group.
Step 3 is required because by default, a vertex on the Vertices worksheet is shown in the Graph Pane only if it is connected to at least one edge.