Drawing ad viewing Changes in NodeXl Dynamically

Apr 18, 2013 at 8:04 PM
Edited Apr 18, 2013 at 8:05 PM
Is it possible to view changes done to a graph dyamically in nodexl? By means when a chage is down to the graph it would show at once in the corresponding rendered version. I am not using any layout position system as the nodes respective positions are specified by my solution. With the same reasoning is it possible to render the graph bit by bit as when using the drawGraph(true) it tends to take lots of time till it is completly renderered

a sample of my graph is:
Image.
Coordinator
Apr 19, 2013 at 4:22 PM
Edited Apr 19, 2013 at 5:36 PM
I like your graph. It reminds me iron particles lining up along magnetic poles.

I assume that you are calling drawGraph(false) to draw your graph. The false argument tells NodeXL to bypass the layout stage, which can take a long time with large graphs.

It's not possible to render changes dynamically. With the exception of vertices and edges that get selected and unselected, for which there is special code that makes that happen quickly, NodeXL draws the entire graph every time. And because it uses Windows Presentation Foundation (WPF), which is a retained mode graphics system that you "load up" with instructions and then let the system do the actual drawing on a background thread, there is no progressive rendering. WPF draws in the background and then reveals the results all at once.

It would have been possible to design the NodeXLControl to allow incremental updates, but that would have made the code more complex. It's primarily intended for static graphs.

-- Tony