NodeXL tab does not appear

Apr 4, 2013 at 6:01 PM
Installed NodeXL according to docs. an bring up the worksheet and see parts of the template, BUT the NodeXL tab does not appear, not the Document Actions view. When an admin logs into my machine as local administrator, the template displays fine with NodeXL tab and all, but when a user logs into the machine (even a user with admin permissions) no NodeXL tab. Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Mike
Apr 4, 2013 at 6:21 PM
Mike:

It sounds like your system administrator installed NodeXL using the "just me" option instead of the "everyone" option. He should uninstall NodeXL, then install it again using the "everyone" option.

Please see "How to install NodeXL for multiple users" at http://nodexl.codeplex.com/discussions/228638.

-- Tony
Apr 4, 2013 at 6:25 PM
No, we saw the selections for "Just me" and "Everyone". Picked Everyone each time the option was shown.

Mike
Apr 4, 2013 at 6:29 PM
How are you (Mike) starting NodeXL?

-- Tony
Apr 5, 2013 at 2:26 PM
Start-Programs->NodeXL->NodeXL Template

Update: had another domain user login to my workstation today where NodeXL was installed. When this user startsup NodeXL he is prompted for some type of Install, does it, and Excel comes up correctly with the NodeXL tab and all. So other users can login and start it, BUT I can't. I was the original person who attempted the first install, and that user account I use has admin privledge. Then I got an admin to login as the local administrator on the computer, redo the install. She then had access. She logged out, I logged in, and I don't see the NodeXL tab. Other users login, they see the NodeXL tab. Why would one user account not show the tab?

Thanks,
Mike
Apr 5, 2013 at 4:38 PM
The install prompt for the latest user is just what I would expect, given that your system administrator selected the "everyone" option when he installed NodeXL. Each new user will be asked that question once. Is it possible that you answered the question with a "no"?

In any case, try this:
  1. In Windows Explorer, navigate to NodeXL's program folder. On English computers, it's at "C:\Program Files\Social Media Research Foundation\NodeXL Excel Template" or "C:\Program Files (x86)\Social Media Research Foundation\NodeXL Excel Template".
  2. Double-click the file called Smrf.NodeXL.ExcelTemplate.vsto.
  3. If you get a message saying that NodeXL has been successfully installed, try running NodeXL again from the Windows Start menu.
-- Tony
Apr 5, 2013 at 4:58 PM
Invoked the .vsto file as suggested. Received a pop-up with message: The Latest Version of this customization is already installed. Then reinvoked the template with the same results. It never prompted me (after the initial install) to try and install a publisher when I first opened it, like the other users. Wondering where to go from here because I can't use it. Should i try to uninstall everything, let the local admin reinstall it again, logout, and then try to acces it as me? Seems doing the install as myself and then trying to access didn't work for ma last time. It may be possible that I selected No Just me, on the original install, but I don't know why I'd do that. When the local admin logged on and reinstalled, wouldn't that correct anything I may have done. Can you tell me what to do to "start over", and who should do the install (actual administrator on the machine) versus myself who has admin privledge. Users can login to this machine using domain logins, even though I am the primary user with admin priledge.

Thanks,
Mike
Apr 5, 2013 at 5:43 PM
Edited Apr 5, 2013 at 6:02 PM
Mike:

I'm not sure what happened here, but there are a couple of ways to try to fix it. Starting with simple first:
  1. Go to Programs and Features in Control Panel and search for something called "Smrf.NodeXL.ExcelTemplate". (Confusingly, there may also be something called "NodeXL Excel Template". Ignore that one. Do not uninstall that one.) Is it there? If not, this simple fix won't work. But if it's there...
  2. Right-click "Smrf.NodeXL.ExcelTemplate" and select "Uninstall".
  3. As outlined in my earlier post, double-click the file called Smrf.NodeXL.ExcelTemplate.vsto in NodeXL's program folder. Do you get asked whether you want to install NodeXL? If so, answer "yes" and then try to run NodeXL from the Windows Start menu.
If that didn't work, then the next step is to probably start from scratch:
  1. Have the system administrator uninstall NodeXL. Do that by searching for every item that contains "NodeXL" in Programs and Features, right-clicking each item, and selecting "Uninstall". There is a search box at the upper-right corner of Programs and Features that you should use.
  2. Install NodeXL again, using your own account and selecting the "just me" option. (I'm assuming here that you don't really need to have other people using NodeXL on your computer. If I'm wrong, have your system administrator install it again as "everyone".) You didn't mention what went wrong when you originally tried to do this the first time. If you run into problems again, please paste the error message here, complete with any "details" if there is a "Details" button.
  3. Try starting NodeXL from the Windows Start menu.
-- Tony
Apr 5, 2013 at 6:17 PM
Ughhh ....

Tried simple fix first because the program was there as stated. No change in result.

Uninstalled everything from Control Panel->Add/Remove Programs which included
  • Smrf.NodeXL.ExcelTemplate
  • NodeXL Excel Template
  • Visual Studio Runtime Tools 3.0 // this was part of the original install will explain below
My install procedures have me run 3 executables, the first 2 deal with Visual Studio Tools.
  • vstor30.exe
  • vstor30sp1-KB949258-x86.exe
  • then the setup.exe which installs NodeXL
No errors executing the above. No reboot asked for or performed. Invoke NodeXL
through the Start->Programs-NodeXL->the template
Excel comes up, no errors, no prompts to Install anything, you see the template, i.e
columns labeled Vertex 1, Vertex 2, Color, Width, Style, etc. And worksheet tabs
labeled Edges, Vertices, Groups, etc. No Document actions view to the right and
no NodeXL tab at the top. Same result as previous.
Apr 5, 2013 at 6:50 PM
Next step:

Try renaming your ClickOnce cache folder, which will cause ClickOnce to create a new folder for you. In Windows Explorer, rename this folder:
C:\Users\Mike'sAccountName\AppData\Local\Apps\2.0
to this:
C:\Users\Mike'sAccountName\AppData\Local\Apps\2.0.old
Then start NodeXL again. Do you get a question or an error message this time?

-- Tony
Apr 5, 2013 at 7:15 PM
Found the folder and renamed for my user account and the Administrator account. Fired off the template, no change. No error message or prompt. Excel comes up and displays part of the template as previously stated. Also, a new folder is not created after I invoke the template.
Apr 5, 2013 at 7:30 PM
I just read through the threads and I see the folder contains a single quote.

C:\Users\Mike'sAccountName

Is there any chance that the application has a problem with the presence of that single quote?

jeffld
Apr 5, 2013 at 7:38 PM
That wasn't really the folder name, there is no Mike'sAccountName, he was referring to my user account which can be represented differently on different systems. In my case, the folder appeared under: C:\Documents and Settings\mmiller\Local Settings\Apps\2.0
Apr 7, 2013 at 7:04 PM
Edited Apr 8, 2013 at 3:30 AM
Mike:

What's supposed to happen is this:

There is a hidden marker in the NodeXL template file (NodeXLGraph.xltx) that identifies the template as what's called a VSTO solution. "VSTO" stands for "Visual Studio Tools for Office," and it's a Microsoft technology that allows NodeXL to heavily customize the template with things like the graph pane and the NodeXL Ribbon tab. When you open the NodeXL template in Excel, a piece of software called the VSTO loader notices the marker and starts the process of running NodeXL's customization software.

In your case, the VSTO loader is not starting that process. It's not asking you any questions, it's not showing you any messages, and in fact it doesn't seem to be doing anything at all. The problem seems to be account-specific, because you said earlier that it worked fine for other accounts on your computer. I don't know what's wrong within your account or how to fix it.

A simple workaround might be to create a new local account on your computer and use NodeXL from there. If that's not possible or it would be too awkward to use NodeXL that way, then I would post a question on the Visual Studio for Tools Forum at http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vsto/threads. That forum is monitored by the Microsoft people responsible for VSTO, and they might have a quick solution. I would pose the question along the lines of "I'm trying to use a VSTO template that will not load on a particular account on my computer. No questions, warnings or errors pop up; the template just opens without the VSTO customization. The template opens successfully for other accounts on the same computer. Is there something I can "reset" within the troublesome account that will cause VSTO to start working?"

I'm sorry I don't have a solution for you. If you pursue this and get an answer, we would greatly appreciate your letting us know what you've learned.

Thanks,
Tony
Apr 7, 2013 at 11:27 PM
Sounds like a plan, and no apologies, you provided much more help than I expected and the explanations were great. I'll post follow-ups as things improve. The help is much appreciated.

Thanks,
Mike