Selecting edges within a group

Mar 28, 2013 at 1:08 PM
I'm wondering if there is an easy way to select only the edges with a single group, and not the edges that between different groups.

e.g.: Cluster a network by Girvan-Newman, and set edge opacity for edges between multiple groups to 20%, while edges within the same group is 100%.

I know if I layout the graph so each group is in it's own box, then I can hide/combine edges between groups. However, I want to change the opacity and/or color of edges between groups, and not just hide/combine them.
Mar 29, 2013 at 3:50 AM
Curtis:

I can't think of a way to accomplish that. Perhaps someone else can.

-- Tony
Coordinator
Mar 29, 2013 at 4:23 AM
I think I know a way, but may need some help getting the formulas correct.

What we want to do is add columns to the Edges worksheet for the Group for Vertex 1 and Vertex 2. This can be populated by doing a =VLOOKUP() of the Vertex1 name in the Group Vertices worksheet.

Once the "Vertex1 Group" and "Vertex2 Group" columns are populated, then add a third column called "Internal Edge?" which contains an =IF that compares Vertex1 Group to Veretx2 Group. If they are the same, then this is an "Internal" edge that does not leave the group. If they are different, then the edge starts in one group and ends in another group.

These values will then appear in the Dynamic Filters feature: you can filter edges by their Vertex1 or Vertex2 group of origin or by the Internal state.

Marc
Mar 29, 2013 at 1:46 PM
Great, thanks Marc! I'll give that a try.