Layered networks and edge thickness

Mar 18, 2013 at 7:13 PM
Hello I'm considering using nodeXL for my PhD research. I would like to visualise different layers of an interpersonal network by using different colors of the edges for each layer so for example a group of people may be communicating via email or phone. I'd like to see you on the same visualisation email links in blue and phone calls in red. Moreover I would like the thickness of the edges to represent the intensity of these exchanges, yet preserving the two different colors and not turning them into a grey scale. Is that possible at all with nodeXL? thank you in advance for your kind advice.

Paolo
Coordinator
Mar 19, 2013 at 4:55 AM
Edited Nov 6, 2013 at 12:12 AM
NodeXL will do much of what your are describing.

However, in NodeXL parallel edges currently are plotted directly on top of one another, which may be an issue for your requirements.

It is possible to plot one "thick" edge and and a thinner, contrasting colored, edge with appropriate use of the opacity settings for the heavier edge (make think things more transparent, thin things more opaque).

We have plans to improve the ways NodeXL draws parallel edges but have no firm time scheduled for the features yet.

Thanks, Marc
Nov 5, 2013 at 7:56 PM
Hi Marc -
Any Update on ability to plot parallell edges?
Coordinator
Nov 6, 2013 at 12:13 AM
Lots of work items are still higher priority, but this remains on the list.

I do not have a current estimate for implementation.

Sorry,
Marc