Twitter API 1.1 and Excel 2013?

Mar 16, 2013 at 2:03 AM
Does NodeXL work with the revised Twitter API (1.1)? Does it work with Excel 2013?
Coordinator
Mar 17, 2013 at 5:58 PM
NodeXL versions 1.0.1.235 and earlier will not work with Twitter API 1.1. They use the old Twitter API 1.0, which is still working as of today.

We have an updated version of NodeXL waiting in the wings that will work with Twitter API 1.1, and people who use NodeXL to import Twitter networks will have to update NodeXL once Twitter turns off the old API 1.0. They haven't announced when that will be, but it could be March 2013.

There will be several significant Twitter changes in the updated version of NodeXL:
  1. You will be required to authorize NodeXL to use your Twitter account to import Twitter networks. This was optional in NodeXL versions 1.0.1.235 and earlier.
  2. Selecting any NodeXL option that requires NodeXL to ask Twitter for follower information ("who follows Mary on Twitter?") will result in painfully long delays. The old Twitter API 1.0 allowed NodeXL to ask for followers 350 times per hour. With the new API, NodeXL can ask for followers only 15 times per 15 minutes. What used to take a few minutes will now take days, which will make these NodeXL features useless for all but the smallest networks.
  3. In the Twitter Search Network, you will be able to request more than the 1,500 tweets you can request today. That's the only positive change I know of.
-- Tony
Coordinator
Mar 17, 2013 at 6:00 PM
We haven't tested NodeXL with Excel 2013. Some people have reported that it works fine, while a few people have reported installation problems. We obviously need to address this issue, but we've been swamped with other things, Twitter API changes among them.

-- Tony
Coordinator
Mar 17, 2013 at 6:04 PM
Edited Mar 17, 2013 at 6:04 PM
I forgot another major Twitter change:

4 People who had been whitelisted by Twitter will find that their whitelisting has gone away. Everyone will now have the same rate limits.

-- Tony
Mar 17, 2013 at 6:59 PM
Thanks! How do I get the version that works with the 1.1 API? My understanding is that the 1.1 API is live now, in parallel with the 1.0 API.

I have Excel 2007 and I'm holding off on the upgrade until I get the 1.1 API working.
Coordinator
Mar 17, 2013 at 7:40 PM
It hasn't been released yet. It will probably be released sometime in the next two weeks. If you want to be notified via email, visit the Downloads tab at http://nodexl.codeplex.com/releases/ and look for "Notifications".

I'm not sure why you would be in a hurry to use version 1.1 of the Twitter API. In most respects, it's a significant downgrade from a NodeXL point of view. As I mentioned, it will make some NodeXL features unusable for all but the smallest of networks.

-- Tony
Mar 17, 2013 at 9:53 PM
I'm porting all my code to 1.1 and this is a major 'loose end' in my test process. As to the usability, all programs that access the Twitter API have the same restrictions; Twitter isn't singling out NodeXL. I suspect that in the end, a few favored business
partners might get indefinite access to private endpoints for 1.0 calls - money does talk, after all. On Sun, Mar 17, 2013 at 12:40 PM, tcap479 <<notifications@codeplex.com> wrote: > From: tcap479 > > It hasn't been released yet. It will probably be released
sometime in the > next two weeks. If you want to be notified via email, visit the Downloads > tab at http://nodexl.codeplex.com/releases/ and look for "Notifications". > > I'm not sure why you would be in a hurry to use version 1.1 of the Twitter > API. In
most respects, it's a significant downgrade from a NodeXL point of > view. As I mentioned, it will make some NodeXL features unusable for all but > the smallest of networks. > > -- Tony > > Read the full discussion online. > > To add a post to this discussion,
reply to this email > (NodeXL@discussions.codeplex.com) > > To start a new discussion for this project, email > NodeXL@discussions.codeplex.com > > You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on > CodePlex. You can unsubscribe on
CodePlex.com. > > Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts > to this discussion will also be available online at CodePlex.com -- Twitter: http://twitter.com/znmeb; Computational Journalism Publishers Workbench http://j.mp/CompJournBench/
I am not an IP address! I am a free man!
Mar 18, 2013 at 11:23 AM
Edited Mar 18, 2013 at 11:24 AM
tcap479 wrote:
It hasn't been released yet. It will probably be released sometime in the next two weeks. If you want to be notified via email, visit the Downloads tab at http://nodexl.codeplex.com/releases/ and look for "Notifications".

I'm not sure why you would be in a hurry to use version 1.1 of the Twitter API. In most respects, it's a significant downgrade from a NodeXL point of view. As I mentioned, it will make some NodeXL features unusable for all but the smallest of networks.

-- Tony
I don't think the new update will be a downgrade. In fact, if it's raising the 1,500 limit, I think it will be a big upgrade. Follower networks are no where near as helpful, or even meaningful, as an interaction network. I don't know if you're familiar with "The Million Follower Fallacy", but it's worth checking out if you haven't already. Million Follower Fallacy