Grouping by attribute - how can I see tie strenghts?

Mar 2, 2013 at 12:05 AM
I have a directed network and have grouped a set of vertices by an attribute (a business unit) and then collapsed all the groups. This really helps me understand the flows between the business units.

How can I display the total number of in/out degrees for each group on the map?

For instance, I'd like to be able to display the total sum of in/out degrees between Business Unit A and B.

Any ideas?
Coordinator
Mar 2, 2013 at 2:26 AM
Edited Mar 2, 2013 at 2:30 AM
Hello!

Thanks for the interest in NodeXL!

Groups can have labels.

In the Groups worksheet there is a labels column.

To display the Group Labels column, select the NodeXL>Show/Hide>Workbook Columns>Labels menu item.

You can populate it with anything you like.

Select NodeXL>Visual Properties>Autofill Columns>Groups>Label to set the value of the label.

Select the options next to the group label to choose the location of the group label.

Group to Group connection measures are located on the

Group Edges worksheet.

Marc
Mar 2, 2013 at 6:37 AM
Marc,

First of all many thanks for the quick reply. That is much appreciated.

I looked at the 'Group Edges' worksheet and can see:
  • Group 1
  • Group 2
  • Edges (just below a heading called 'Graph Metrics'.
Now, how do I display on the map how many indegrees and outdegrees there are between the groups. There is only one column called 'edges' and I assume this one counts both indegrees and outdegrees? Where can I see these separately for each group-group relationship? I guess I am trying to find a place where I can add this as a label to the group edge.

Does that make sense?
Mar 3, 2013 at 7:38 PM
Edited Mar 3, 2013 at 7:38 PM
Froggy:

The Group Edges worksheet shows the total number of edges between each pair of groups. It does not distinguish between incoming edges and outgoing edges. NodeXL won't calculate separate incoming and outgoing edge counts for you.

-- Tony