Retweet that contains a mention - Edge to just retweet or to mention too?

Feb 28, 2013 at 5:56 PM
How does NodeXL process a tweet that contains a mention, that is then retweeted? Is there an edge just from the person retweeting to the person retweeted, or is there an edge to the user mentioned in the tweet as well?

Thanks!
Mar 1, 2013 at 6:53 AM
Curtis:

Please post a sample tweet that you're wondering about, and I'll tell you the edges that NodeXL will create from it.

-- Tony
Mar 1, 2013 at 1:14 PM
Edited Mar 1, 2013 at 1:15 PM
Example:

Tony: hey @marc, check out this awesome #network I made in #nodexl!!

Curtis: RT @Tony: hey @marc, check out this awesome #network I made in #nodexl!!

You mention @marc in a tweet. I retweet you.

Now, am I just connected to you (@Tony), since I retweeted you? Or, am I also connected to @marc, since he is mentioned in the tweet I retweeted?

I hope this makes sense.
Mar 1, 2013 at 5:02 PM
Curtis:

Let's say that you ran a Twitter search network on the term "NodeXL", that you checked "add an edge for each Replies-to" and "add an edge for each Mentions", and that the results included the two tweets you posted here.

For the first tweet, NodeXL will add an edge from Tony to marc with a "Relationship" column value of "Mentions", assuming that marc also recently tweeted "NodeXL" and is included on the Vertices worksheet. (Edges are added only between people who satisfied the search criteria. If marc hasn't tweeted "NodeXL" recently, my mention of him will be ignored.)

For the second tweet, there will be a "Mentions" edge between Curtis and Tony, and another "Mentions" edge between Curtis and Marc.

-- Tony
Mar 1, 2013 at 8:19 PM
That's what I needed to know. Thanks Tony!
Jul 1, 2014 at 4:35 PM
Edited Jul 1, 2014 at 4:39 PM
Why your mention (@Tony to @Marc) will be ignored?? isn't that relation supposed to be counted?
why NodeXl only add an edge if both of you tweet "the same word"???

Please answer me, i need to know,
Thanks before
Jul 1, 2014 at 7:00 PM
Edited Jul 1, 2014 at 7:03 PM
In curtis_h's earlier example, there will be an edge from Tony to marc with a "Relationship" column value of "Mentions". It is not ignored. Perhaps you misread my post?

But this discussion is now out of date, because the Twitter Search Network has changed since the discussion was started. In the latest version of NodeXL, there are help links in the Import from Twitter Search Network dialog box that explain how the latest version works. I'll include the help text from one of those links in my next post.

-- Tony
Jul 1, 2014 at 7:01 PM
Edited Jul 1, 2014 at 7:02 PM
Basic network:

When you select this option, NodeXL asks Twitter for recent tweets that match your search query. It then creates a vertex for each unique user who either tweeted one of those tweets, was replied to in one of those tweets, or was mentioned in one of those tweets. Finally, it connects those vertices with edges.

If a tweet was a reply to someone else, NodeXL creates an edge from the tweeter to the replied-to user and gives it a "Relationship" value of "Replies-to." There can be only one such Replies-to edge for each tweet.

If a tweet mentioned someone else, NodeXL creates an edge from the tweeter to the mentioned user and gives it a "Relationship" value of "Mentions." There can be multiple Mentions edges for each tweet. (Note that a "Replies-to" is NOT also a "Mentions.")

If a tweet neither replied to nor mentioned anyone else, NodeXL creates a self-loop edge from the tweeter to herself and gives it a "Relationship" value of "Tweet."

Here are a few important limitations you should be aware of:
  1. The search results provided by Twitter are often incomplete--you will most likely NOT get all recent tweets that match your search query. The way Twitter puts it is that the results are "focused on relevance and not completeness."
  2. Twitter will not provide NodeXL with tweets older than about a week. It is NOT possible to use NodeXL to get tweets older than that.
  3. The algorithm that Twitter uses to match tweets with a search query is undocumented. It is NOT, however, the same algorithm that Twitter uses on its own search page, so you may get results from NodeXL that differ from what you get directly from Twitter using the same search query.