Hub and spoke pattern for very small networks.

Feb 24, 2013 at 12:42 PM
Hi,

I am working with some relatively small (130 nodes) networks. For a subset of the network, I want to create one view that is a simple hub-and-spoke, with a large center node and the other nodes (directed) to it. I can't seem to get it to show this as a hub-and-spoke, with the satellite nodes evenly spaced around the center node. Is there some way I can do this?

Thanks so much,

/patti
Feb 25, 2013 at 3:57 PM
Patti:

See if this gives you what you need:
  1. Manually drag the hub vertex to the center of the graph.
  2. Right-click the hub vertex, select "Edit Selected Vertex Properties" from the right-click menu, and set "Locked?" to "Yes". That will prevent the hub vertex from moving when you refesh the graph.
  3. Set NodeXL, Graph, Layout to "Circle".
  4. Select all vertices except the hub vertex. An easy way to do this is to select the hub vertex, then right-click an empty space in the graph pane and select "Toggle Selection" from the right-click menu.
  5. In the "Lay Out Again" menu at the top of the graph pane, select "Lay Out Selected Vertices Again." That will lay out the spoke vertices evenly around a circle. (The "Lay Out Again" menu may be hidden if your graph pane is narrow. In that case, you can still get to it by clicking the down-arrow at the upper-right corner of the graph pane.)
-- Tony
Mar 8, 2013 at 4:40 PM
Marc (thanks, Marc!) just posted another way to do this, that allows me to place nodes in concentric circles using Polar X and Y.