Order drawn vertices into the graph pane by name

Feb 8, 2013 at 2:36 PM
Hello Tony,
I'm handling a network of 400 vertices drawn as a "Grid".
I'm wondering whether is there a way to draw the graph in alphabetical order based upon the vertices' name.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
Best Regards.
--Jacopo
Coordinator
Feb 8, 2013 at 5:13 PM
Edited Feb 8, 2013 at 5:13 PM
The vertex layout order is a vertex attribute. In NodeXL>Visual Properties>Autofill Columns, you can assign Vertex Layout Order to any column of values to sort them.

Marc
Coordinator
Feb 8, 2013 at 5:30 PM
Marc's suggestion will work fine if the order-by column is numerical. Here, the order-by column (Vertex) is text.

Do this:
  1. Go to NodeXL, Show/Hide, Workbook Columns and check "Layout". This will allow you to see the Layout Order column on the Vertices worksheet.
  2. Using the square arrow button at the top of the Vertex column on the Vertices worksheet, sort the worksheet by Vertex. (If you wanted a more advanced sort, you could use Data, Sort & Filter, Sort.)
  3. In the first cell of the Layout Order column on the Vertices worksheet, enter "=row()", without the quotes. This is an Excel formula that will insert the row number into each cell in the column.
  4. Refresh the graph. The vertices in the grid should now be sorted by Vertex names.
-- Tony
Feb 8, 2013 at 5:48 PM
Thank you Marc and Thank you Tony.

Can I increase the vertex label size?

Thanks in advance.
Best Regards.

--Jacopo
Coordinator
Feb 8, 2013 at 5:52 PM
By "label", I assume you are using label annotations, where the label is next to the vertex.

Do this:
  1. Right-click the graph pane and select Graph Options.
  2. In the Graph Options dialog box, select the Other tab.
  3. On the Other tab, click Labels.
  4. In the Label Options dialog box, click the Font button.
  5. In the Font dialog box, select a larger Size.
-- Tony