NodeXL for Stakeholder Analysis in Project Management / Business Analysis

Jan 20, 2013 at 8:35 PM

Hi,

Please forgive me, but I am a complete newb at graphs (in this context) and NodeXL.  I tried looking at the documentation first, but the link on the SMR Foundation NodeXL page "to the written documentation "A manuscript tutorial guide to NodeXL can be found at http://casci.umd.edu/images/4/46/NodeXL_tutorial_draft.pdf" goes no where and the video assumes a lot more knowledge than I have.

I stumbled across NodeXL after reading a paper called "StakeNet: Using Social Networks to Analyse the Stakeholders of Large-Scale Software Projects".  You can download it here from the University College - London:  http://discovery.ucl.ac.uk/19047/

I am trying to re-create the StakeNet process in NodeXL but am having some difficulties.  The StakeNet process uses a [Referrer, Stakeholder, Stakeholder Role, Salience> set.  For example, Bob Jones recommends Bill Smith to be the Sales Representative with a Salience level of 4 (on a 1-5 scale).

I believe that Referrer and Stakeholder names would go in Vertex 1 and Vertex 2 on the Edge tab.  I added new columns (in columns N and O of the Edges work sheet) for the Stakeholder Row and Salience value, but when I render a graph I am unable to get them to be factored in.

In the Graph Metrics, I have turned on the following: Vertex in-degree, Vertex out-degree, Vertex betweenness and closeness centralities, and Vertex page rank.

If anyone can point to resources that will help me implement this, or could provide advice, I would appreciate it.  I want to learn how to leverage NodeXL because I can see other uses such as analyzing SharePoint questionairre and survey data (where I can track who the person providing the answers is via their Sharepoint ID.

Thank you for any help again.  If I'm missing a completely obvious resource, please forgive my ignorance and please point it out.  :)

Coordinator
Jan 20, 2013 at 8:39 PM
You can map the edge attributes to display attributes (for example, edge width) using the Autofill Column feature in the NodeXL menu.

On Sun, Jan 20, 2013 at 1:35 PM, Vaasa <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

Hi,

Please forgive me, but I am a complete newb at graphs (in this context) and NodeXL. I tried looking at the documentation first, but the link on the SMR Foundation NodeXL page "to the written documentation "A manuscript tutorial guide to NodeXL can be found at http://casci.umd.edu/images/4/46/NodeXL_tutorial_draft.pdf" goes no where and the video assumes a lot more knowledge than I have.

I stumbled across NodeXL after reading a paper called "StakeNet: Using Social Networks to Analyse the Stakeholders of Large-Scale Software Projects". You can download it here from the University College - London: http://discovery.ucl.ac.uk/19047/

I am trying to re-create the StakeNet process in NodeXL but am having some difficulties. The StakeNet process uses a [Referrer, Stakeholder, Stakeholder Role, Salience> set. For example, Bob Jones recommends Bill Smith to be the Sales Representative with a Salience level of 4 (on a 1-5 scale).

I believe that Referrer and Stakeholder names would go in Vertex 1 and Vertex 2 on the Edge tab. I added new columns (in columns N and O of the Edges work sheet) for the Stakeholder Row and Salience value, but when I render a graph I am unable to get them to be factored in.

In the Graph Metrics, I have turned on the following: Vertex in-degree, Vertex out-degree, Vertex betweenness and closeness centralities, and Vertex page rank.

If anyone can point to resources that will help me implement this, or could provide advice, I would appreciate it. I want to learn how to leverage NodeXL because I can see other uses such as analyzing SharePoint questionairre and survey data (where I can track who the person providing the answers is via their Sharepoint ID.

Thank you for any help again. If I'm missing a completely obvious resource, please forgive my ignorance and please point it out. :)

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (NodeXL@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email NodeXL@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe or change your settings on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com