E-mail Import

Jan 17, 2013 at 2:16 PM

Hi everybody,

I have Windows 8 pro and Office 2010. I'm trying to download my e-mails on NodeXL and all I get is 6 edges out of 7 e-mails. They should be thousands. I troubleshooted Windows Search to find possible problems but found nothing. Does anybody know what's going on and if it is a Windows 8 issue?

Thanks,                                                                                                                                    Spyros

Jan 17, 2013 at 4:51 PM
Edited Jan 17, 2013 at 4:52 PM

Spyros:

NodeXL uses Windows Search to find emails.  If Windows Search hasn't indexed your email, then neither Windows Search nor NodeXL will be able to find anything.

I'm not sure what you mean by your having troubleshooted Windows Search.  Did you determine whether it is indexing your emails?  Try entering text from of one of your emails in the Windows Start Menu search box.  Does it find the email?  If not, then your emails are indeed not being indexed by Windows Search.

You didn't say which email program you are using, so I can't point you to specific advice.  Try searching for "windows search not finding [your email program]" in Bing or Google.  That should give you information on getting Windows Search to work properly with your email program, if it's able to do so.  It won't index web-based email like Hotmail, for example.

-- Tony

Jan 17, 2013 at 5:11 PM

Hi Tony,

Thank you for your response!

In windows 8 there is no start menu anymore.

You actually gave me the answer. I use Hotmail and, if Windows Search does not index Hotmail, then this is the problem. The info is in the NodeXL book also. Do you know how I can download a local copy of my e-mails?

Thanks, Spyros

Jan 18, 2013 at 5:17 AM

Spyros:

The only way I know to do that is if you have Outlook installed on your computer, in which case you can connect your Hotmail account to Outlook.  Windows Search indexes Outlook email, so it should then index your Hotmail email as well.

I have never tried this myself; I've only read about it.  For more information, see "Microsoft Office Outlook Hotmail Connector overview" at http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook-help/microsoft-office-outlook-hotmail-connector-overview-HA010222518.aspx.

-- Tony

Jan 18, 2013 at 11:15 AM

Thank you Tony. I appreciate your help!

Spyros

Coordinator
Jan 18, 2013 at 1:32 PM

Thunderbird will also connect to Hotmail and is free.

-

Marc

Jan 18, 2013 at 5:15 PM

Thank you Marc! I was actually debating between Outlook and Thunderbird.

Spyros