A Cloud Large-Data Processing Function?

Dec 30, 2012 at 9:36 PM

Hi, all:  I was wondering if it would be possible to have a way to crunch "big data" extractions from online social networking sites.  I am running three computers as we speak trying to crunch data, and it's taking days.  I am patient, but if we had access to some servers in the cloud to help, we can extract data for research papers and such much faster.  :P 

(Is it rude to ask for more from a free tool?) 

Coordinator
Jan 1, 2013 at 6:38 PM

Hello!

NodeXL is designed for ease of use and exploration of networks.  Scale has been a secondary consideration.

RAM and CPU are definitely important resources for NodeXL and control its performance.  Limits in Excel (depending on the version) are also constraints.

For very large data sets we recommend that users consider the more powerful tools like Python/NetworkX or RSNA or iGraph.

If you need a much more powerful machine for a short period of time I suggest exploring the Amazon EC2 service (aws.amazon.com).

We are always delighted when our users suggest new features and ways to use the tool: Thanks!

Regards,

Marc

Jan 1, 2013 at 8:47 PM

Hello, Marc:  Thank you for your response here, too.  I've copied what you wrote and will check around to see what resources we may have.  I can make a cogent argument for this possibly.