"Unexpected end of file" error -- Help!!!

Dec 27, 2012 at 6:20 PM
Edited Dec 27, 2012 at 7:24 PM

NodeXL was running fine until shortly after I created sub-graphs for a roughly 200 vertices dataset. Since then, anytime I try to open NodeXL, I keep getting the following message:

"Unexpected end of file while parsing Name has occurred. Line 117, position 49."

What am I doing wrong? And how do I fix this?

I can send the complete "Exception Text" if needed. I have tried both restarting and re-installing NodeXL. Neither has worked.

I found the following webpage with some hints on how to fix this problem: http://www.ehow.com/how_7501608_fix-unexpected-end-file.html

However, I am unsure about Step 5. What should the offending file be renamed to in order get NodeXL to work again?

Dec 28, 2012 at 2:05 AM
Edited Dec 28, 2012 at 2:07 AM

It sounds like the file that NodeXL uses to store your settings has somehow become corrupted.  It also sounds like you found the name of the settings file buried in the "Exception Text."  That's good -- you'll need the file name to fix the problem.

Please do the following:

1. Close Excel.

2. Find the settings file using Windows Explorer and delete it.  Do not rename it.

3. Start NodeXL.  It should start normally, without the error message.

-- Tony

Dec 28, 2012 at 4:08 PM

It worked!!! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! This was driving me nuts yesterday!