NodeXL - first steps for all data analysis

Coordinator
Dec 20, 2008 at 6:14 PM
Hello!

NodeXL is an effort to bring network analysis tools to a larger audience by leveraging the power of a spreadsheet to make common data import and manipulation tasks easier.

Most data analysis tasks with NodeXL will follow a common set of steps:
Import

Merge duplicate edges

Calculate (ALL) network metrics

Create clusters

Insert sub-graph images

Sort edge list in a way that usefull effects the order of layout in the graph display

Auto-fill columns (and map data to display attributes): Set shape, color, opacity, size, and label/tooltip

Show graph

Read workbook

Adjust layout

Dynamic Filters – selectively hide edges and nodes

Layout Again

Return to spreadsheet to sort or calculate data

Integrate additional edge lists

Did I miss any steps that you use?  There are multiple analytic goals for network data sets that guide what happens next. 

What are your goals for network analysis?

-
Marc
Dec 21, 2008 at 8:19 PM
Hello !
I am very happy to see you again on codeplex.com.I wondered what happened when i saw that all the pages related to NetMap just vanished from the internet!
NetMap is dead, vive NodeXL ! :-)

Just one question : do  i have to uninstall NetMap before installing NodeXL ?

What are my goals for network analysis ? I use tools like NodeXL for the exploration of online groups dynamics. I study things like flame wars : why do they start ? why do they stop ? I compare the dynamics of online groups and online groups : are they similar ? Is it possible to describe differents sorts of online groups or are they always the same ? Is the structure of the group is different depending the moment of the group. In offline groups, whe know the moment groups organise themselves around one or two cliques. I think that flames wars are moments the members of online groups are renegociating their statuses and fonctions.

To do this, i need something that NodeXL cannot yet do : exploring the inner of a mailing list, and graph the differents threads. I need to know who is responding to who, and when. Of course, i could do this manually, but when the archives of the group cover months or years, it is a very tedious work. An automatic procedure would same me lot of time ! I am crossing my fingers and hope that NodeXL will be able to do that soon !

Note : for me it is important to mix the précise view that network analysis brings us and the comprehensive view when can have with the classical methods of the human sciences

Thank you again for this NodeXL !
Coordinator
Dec 21, 2008 at 8:34 PM
Yann!

Thank you for the feedback!

Recent copies of NetMap will be over written by NodeXL installations, so in most cases you do not need to uninstall first.  That said, an uninstall before a fresh install is a good troubleshooting path if thinks go badly!

You can do some of what you describe in NodeXL today.  You will need to import the email you are interested in studying to a Windows machine running the Microsoft Desktop Search service.  When the email has been indexed in full open NodeXL and Import | From Email Network Analysis...

This will open a dialog that allows you to set a number of conditions and search terms to extract just the email you want.  The data will then be inserted into your workbook and be available for analysis and display in NodeXL.  For bonus points consider adding a right-click item to each node by selecting the "Customize Vertex Menus" feature.  This adds two columns, one for a friendly name, the second for a URL, that is used to populate each node's right-click menu.  This URL could be a pointer to a desktop search query based on that user's email address, for example.  The result is a dynamic interface to your content through the NodeXL display pane.

Regards,

Marc
Dec 22, 2008 at 1:45 AM
Edited Dec 22, 2008 at 1:47 AM
On the uninstall question, you need to first uninstall .NetMap only if its version number is 1.0.1.55 or earlier.  You can find out what version is installed by going to .NetMap, Graph, Help, About Microsoft .NetMap.  If the version you have is 1.0.1.56 or later, you do not have to uninstall it first.

-- Tony
Dec 22, 2008 at 7:21 AM
The installation of NodeXL without uninstalling NetMap1.0.1.56   didn't cause any problem. Thank you, Tony.
Dec 23, 2008 at 9:00 AM
Hi Marc,

I have an additional step for your list:

Sometimes I like to "crop" data.  E.g., if I find an interesting subgraph thanks to clustering or filtering, I'd like to throw away the rest of the network, and recompute statistics/visualization on my subgraph of interest.
Coordinator
Dec 23, 2008 at 8:33 PM
Added to paper and blog post!
http://www.connectedaction.net/2008/12/20/nodexl-steps-for-data-analysis/#more-51

Thanks!

Marc

On Tue, Dec 23, 2008 at 1:00 AM, perer <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

Hi Marc,

I have an additional step for your list:

Sometimes I like to "crop" data. E.g., if I find an interesting subgraph thanks to clustering or filtering, I'd like to throw away the rest of the network, and recompute statistics/visualization on my subgraph of interest.

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (NodeXL@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email NodeXL@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com