- re-open that file
--> nodexl no longer works

Now try this:
- open a new nodexl template.
- insert a new tab AFTER the LAST sheet
- save and close the file
- re-open that file
--> nodexl works

I don't get why that should make/break the add-in, but it's annoying in trying to edit the template.
Dec 16, 2008 at 5:10 AM
The technology I'm using to create the template, Visual Studio Tools for Office (VSTO), connects the template's worksheets to code modules in worksheet order.  That means you can't insert new worksheets between existing worksheets, although you can append them after the last worksheet.  I know that's annoying, but I think we're stuck with it.  (If anyone knows a workaround, please let me know!)

I've filed a bug report noting that any attempt to insert a worksheet should raise an error.

-- Tony
Dec 16, 2008 at 5:32 PM
Rather than make it raise an error, isn't there a way to allow it? Please don't prevent editing the template. Network visualization and mapping is usually only one of many steps in research and analysis. Customization for automated integration with other data sources and steps in analysis is what gives this add-in its power. Isolating NodeXL from the rest of the analysis would be a set-back.

With .NetMap I had no troubles at all inserting a tab in front of the other tabs. I was surprised to find this difference from one version to another.
Dec 16, 2008 at 6:17 PM
I responded too quickly last night without trying your experiment.  I knew that deleting a worksheet causes an error, and I assumed that inserting one did as well.  However, now that I try it I can't reproduce the problem you see -- inserting a new first worksheet, saving the workbook, and opening the workbook works fine for me.

Please send me the details of the error message you get.  I assume you're getting a "The customization assembly could not be found or could not be loaded" message when you try to reopen the workbook.  There should be a Details button.  Click it, then copy the details.  If that isn't the message you're getting, tell me what "nodexl no longer works" means.

Dec 16, 2008 at 6:19 PM
By the way, I wasn't intending to prevent new worksheets from being added -- I was just going to prevent them from being inserted anywhere but after the last worksheet.  But now I need to be able to reproduce the problem before I can do anything.

-- Tony
Dec 16, 2008 at 8:14 PM
Hi Tony,
Thanks for the quick replies. I didn't mean to react harshly, but wanted to make sure the template is highly customizable.

Here are the steps I took to reproduce the error.

1. Create a new file using the startmenu shortcut (maybe not the best option at the moment  :)  )
  2. Right-click on the first worksheet's tab and insert another tab before that one
  3. Save and close the file
  4. Re-open that same file

Result: The NodeXL menu is gone, and I get a pop-up saying:
"The customization assembly could not be found or could not be located. You can still edit and save the document. Contact your administrator or the author of thei document for further assistance."

In the details I get:
"This document might not function as expected because the following control is missing: Sheet1. Data that relies on this control will not be automatically displayed or updated, and other custom functionality will not be available. Contact your administrator or the author of this document for further assistance."
.. Followed by pages upon pages of technical stuff. Let me know if I should copy and paste them all here, too.

Dec 16, 2008 at 8:57 PM
Edited Dec 16, 2008 at 9:37 PM
You haven't been harsh; in fact, you've been very helpful.  Thanks for the details you just posted.  I'll be investigating this bug and the shortcut bug as well.  Fortunately, you've already figured out temporary workarounds for both.