Error installing NodeXL on Windows 7 64 bit with office 2010

Dec 17, 2012 at 7:47 PM

I get an error during installation:

Installing using command 'C:\Users\ranl\AppData\Local\Temp\VSDC1A7.tmp\VSTOR30\vstor30.exe' and parameters ' /q:a /c:"install /q /l"'Process exited with code 1603Status of package 'Visual Studio Tools for the Office system 3.0 Runtime Service Pack 1' after install is 'InstallFailed'

Dec 18, 2012 at 5:44 AM
Edited Dec 18, 2012 at 5:45 AM

We had one other person run into this problem, for reasons we never figured out, and although he was eventually able to fix it, it was a big hassle.  (The details are at  But let's try a simpler step first.

1. Close Excel.

2. Download and install "Visual Studio Tools for Office 3.0 Runtime Service Pack 1" from  That's a piece of Microsoft software that NodeXL uses, and it's what's giving the error message you quoted.

3. If that succeeds, without any error messages popping up, run the NodeXL Setup.exe program again.  Otherwise, tell me what the error message is.

-- Tony

Dec 18, 2012 at 6:41 AM

thanks, when trying to install "Visual Studio Tools for Office 3.0 Runtime Service Pack 1" I get message:

"None of the products that are addressed by this software update are installed on this computer. Click Cancel to exit setup"

Dec 19, 2012 at 6:38 AM

I think there is a problem on your computer that has nothing to do with NodeXL, but that prevents NodeXL from being installed.  The other person who ran into this went through a very long discussion with Microsoft support people trying to get his computer fixed.  They eventually succeeded, but it was a lot of work, and there was never a clear explanation of how the problem arose in the first place.

If you are interested in trying what worked for him, the instructions are in the last post at  However, it's not something I would do on my own computer unless I made a complete backup of Windows first, because it sounds risky, and there is no guarantee that it will always work.

My unhappy advice is to install NodeXL on a different computer, if that is at all possible.  I'm sorry I can't be very helpful on this one.

-- Tony