Nodexl and Windows 8

Dec 2, 2012 at 2:24 PM

Has anybody installed Nodexl on a PC with Windows 8 and Office 2010? For some reason I didn't manage to do it.

Coordinator
Dec 4, 2012 at 12:36 AM

I have not tried that yet.

When you try it, what happens?  If you get an error message, please tell me what it says.  (With some error messages, you can press Ctrl-C to copy the entire message to the clipboard.  Otherwise, tell me at least the first line of the message.)

Thanks,
    Tony

Coordinator
Dec 4, 2012 at 12:45 AM

Oh, and tell me when you get the error message.  Is it while you are running NodeXL's Setup program?  Or did the Setup program seem to run successfully, but you got an error message when you attempted to start NodeXL from the Windows Start menu?

-- Tony

Jan 26, 2013 at 11:10 AM

Windows 8 is runing with build in netframework 4. Nodexl does not recognise it.

Feb 10, 2013 at 2:54 PM
Edited Feb 10, 2013 at 3:00 PM
I use two computers - one with windows 7 (desktop) and my laptop with windows 8. On the first I have no problems with nodeXL. But on laptop, when I start NodeXL, I got message that template requires net framework. I download it from Microsoft site, but installer tells me that I already have a net framework 4 and I don't need and can't install it. I download and install net framework 3.5 - due NodeXl works with it on my desktop computer. The reaction of NodeXL was the same - again ask me to install net framework. What I'm doing wrong? Is there some features which I need to fix? Hope for answer.
Sincerely yours:

Robert Levy (aka mabatmag)

P.S. I have other programs which requires net framework and they have not problems.
Coordinator
Feb 10, 2013 at 2:58 PM
Hello!
Thank you for your interest in NodeXL.
We have not yet tested NodeXL on Windows 8. Others have reported success, but you are clearly having an issue.
We will try to find a path to resolution for this soon - but may not be able to reply until Wednesday (13 Feb 2013).
I am pretty sure that we can fix these issues, but it may take time and our team will need to get a copy of Windows 8!
Regards,
Marc
Feb 10, 2013 at 3:01 PM
Thanks, Marc.
Coordinator
Feb 12, 2013 at 6:11 PM
Edited Feb 12, 2013 at 6:11 PM
Robert:

On your Windows 8 machine, when did you get an error message? Was it 1) when you attempted to install NodeXL by running NodeXL's Setup program, or 2) when you attempted to start NodeXL from the Windows start screen? In either case, please copy the error message here, including any "Details" if there is a Details button in the error message box. You can often press Ctrl-C to copy an error message to the Windows clipboard, so you may not have to type it manually.

Thanks,
Tony
Feb 12, 2013 at 9:34 PM
Dear Tony,
With installation there are not any problems, problem begin when I try to open template from windows start screen. The error message says that I have no net framework. But I have (3.5 and 4.5) and it running. I cant find the way to attach a picture to see the message. Quote: "In order to run c:\Program Files (x86)\Social Media Research Foundation\NodeXL Excel Template\NodeXLGraph.xltx requires that the .Net Framework be installed". On my desktop computer I have no problems. A made few social networks needed for my PhD. I try other software, but NodeXl is the best. I work with it from earlier versions (from the times of Microsoft research). I presume that I do something wrong.

Thanks

Robert
Coordinator
Feb 12, 2013 at 9:54 PM
Robert:

Thank you for the details. You are not doing anything wrong, but I don't know the cause of the problem.

We are not supporting NodeXL on Windows 8 yet, because we haven't had a chance to test it and track down any problems that might arise. I'm afraid all I can recommend at the moment is for you to continue using NodeXL on your Windows 7 desktop computer, if that's at all possible.

When we are able to support Windows 8, we'll be sure to mention that in our release notes. If you would like to be notified of new NodeXL releases, please look for the "release notifications" section on the Downloads tab at http://nodexl.codeplex.com/releases.

Thanks,
Tony
Feb 13, 2013 at 7:43 AM
Dear Tony,
Thank you for quick answer. On Friday I'll met my administrator and and windows support to look for problem, because other friends with windows 8 says that on their machines NodeXL is running. After that I'll report to you what the result is.

Thank you.
Robert