NodeXL on Mac Parallels

Oct 26, 2012 at 8:57 AM

Hello

I'm trying to get started with NodeXL using my Mac.  I have Windows 7 and Office 2010 running ok.

When I go to the start menu, NodeXL opens up using Numbers back on my Mac Desktop and not in Excel in Windows 7.

Can anyone help me fix this?  Is there an alternative way to launch NodeXL?

Steve

Coordinator
Oct 26, 2012 at 3:22 PM

I am not an expert on Parallels but what you describe sounds like a feature that tries to open documents on Windows with apps on MacOS.

Can you open Excel for Windows at all?

If so, you can then open a copy of the NodeXL template file.  It is located in the NodeXL directory, which on my system is located here:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Social Media Research Foundation\NodeXL Excel Template

The file you want is:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Social Media Research Foundation\NodeXL Excel Template\NodeXLGraph.xlsx"

Does that open in the Windows side when you drag and drop it into the Windows Excel window?

-

Marc

Oct 26, 2012 at 4:18 PM

Steve:

It sounds like you have Parallels configured to open Excel template files in the Mac's Numbers program instead of in Windows' Excel program.  Excel template files have an ".xltx" extension.  NodeXL uses an Excel template file, NodeXLGraph.xltx, and when you try to open that file, Parallels opens it in Numbers instead of the correct Excel.

See "Using SmartSelect" at http://download.parallels.com/desktop/v5/docs/en/Parallels_Desktop_Users_Guide/22962.htm.

-- Tony

Oct 26, 2012 at 9:12 PM

Tony / Marc

Thanks for your reply.  It's working now.  I followed the instructions in your link.  Basically, Virtual Machine | Configure | Security | Isolate Mac from Windows. 

Thanks

Steve