building from source

Oct 16, 2012 at 7:23 PM

.. gives me this error,

Error    3    The namespace 'Smrf.NodeXL.ExcelTemplate' already contains a definition for 'GraphMetrics'    C:\Users\-\Downloads\NodeXLSourceCode_1.0.1.224\NodeXL\ExcelTemplate\GraphMetrics\GraphMetricDescriptions.Designer.cs    11    37    ExcelTemplate

A quick search reveals no other namespace 'GraphMetrics', if someone could point me in the right direction in solving this error, i'd appreciate it!

Oct 16, 2012 at 7:44 PM
Edited Oct 16, 2012 at 7:45 PM

some additional research on google reveals that some other have had similar issues when upgrade the solution to 2010. Others experience the issue when a file is removed from the solution but not removed from the folder.

Has anyone else experienced these issues?

i used notepad++ to do a directory search for the namespace 'Smrf.NodeXL.ExcelTemplate.GraphMetrics' - it only appears once.

Oct 17, 2012 at 12:27 AM

Yes, the conversion wizard in Visual Studio 2010 damages several *.Designer.cs files, which introduces build errors.  I've described the problem at, and I'll include the description and workaround here, below my signature.

I will eventually convert the solution to Visual Studio 2012, bypassing 2010 entirely.

-- Tony

To use the NodeXL source code in Visual Studio 2010, do the following:

1. Download the source code from the Source Code tab.

2. Make copies of the original NodeXL\ExcelTemplate\*.Designer.cs files. There are eight of them: Sheet1.Designer.cs, Sheet2,Designer.cs, and so on.

3. Make a copy of the original NodeXL\ExcelTemplate\GraphMetrics\GraphMetricDescriptions.Designer.cs file.

4. Open NodeXL.sln in Visual Studio 2010, which starts the conversion wizard.

5. Let the conversion wizard run to completion. The conversion succeeds without complaint, but unfortunately the *.Designer.cs files get mangled during the conversion.

6. Overwrite the (badly converted) *.Designer.cs files with the copies you made earlier.

7. See NodeXL\HowToBuildNodeXL.txt.