dynamic vertices filteration on click on a vertex node

Oct 15, 2012 at 10:09 AM
Edited Oct 15, 2012 at 10:15 AM

i wanted to know if currently in nodexl, if i have a vertex connected to few other vertices, is it possible that if i click on a vertex node, to show all the directly connected nodes and hide all the rest of the nodes?

is that feature available as of now? 

Oct 15, 2012 at 9:36 PM
Edited Oct 15, 2012 at 9:36 PM

Sort of, but it requires several steps.  Try this:

1. In the Vertices worksheet, select the vertex you want to see.

2. In the graph pane, right-click the selected vertex and select Select Subgraphs from the right-click menu.

3. In the Select Subgraphs dialog box, select "the clicked vertex only", set the "level of adjacent vertices to include" to 1.0, and check or uncheck the "select the connecting edges" option.  (You didn't say whether you wanted to see the connecting edges.)  Click the Select button, then the Close button.

The vertex and its immediate neighbors are now selected and shown in red.  Now if you want to hide all the other vertices and edges, do this:

4. Right-click the graph pane and select Graph Options from the right-click menu.

5. In the Graph Options dialog box, set the Opacity on the Edges tab to 0, and set the Opacity on the Vertices tab to 0.  Click OK.

Now, all vertices and edges except those that are selected are invisible.

So you can do it, but it's not as simple as you might want.

-- Tony

Oct 17, 2012 at 9:40 AM

Thanks for replying. I tried your steps, it worked out perfectly. In this same query, I had some further sub queries. Can we use scripting in these vertices? or can we automate the steps given by you into a macro command in excel ? my goal is to achieve vertex isolation along with vertices directly connected to it, and to hide the rest of the vertices. 

Oct 17, 2012 at 5:32 PM

Unfortunately, the commands and features that NodeXL adds to Excel cannot be scripted into a macro.  Excel doesn't allow that.

-- Tony