Twitter Lists

Oct 5, 2012 at 9:16 PM
Edited Oct 5, 2012 at 9:16 PM

Hi! I am enjoying NodeXL :) When I get a result from From Twitter List Network, and I manually enter a set of usernames, what is the result telling me? Is it simply a network of who in my list is following who, or does it reflect the nodes being on the same lists? Thank you!

Oct 5, 2012 at 11:10 PM

If you manually enter a set of usernames, then NodeXL will add a vertex for each specified user.  If you check "add an edge for each follows relationship," then NodeXL will add an edge between user A and user B if user A follows user B.

The difference between the "add a vertex for each Twitter user in this Twitter List" and "add a vertex for each Twitter user in this set of usernames" options is that in the first case the usernames come from a Twitter "List" (which is something you can create on Twitter), while in the second case the usernames come from your keyboard.

-- Tony

Jun 17, 2013 at 8:01 PM
Hi Tony,

Do you know if there is a limit to how many screen names can be pasted into the "Twitter user in this set of usernames" box?

Also, obviously there is a way to collect the network of friends and followers for one single user. But is there also a way to start with maybe 5 users and collect the network of friends and followers for all 5 of these users?
Jun 18, 2013 at 12:39 AM
Edited Jun 18, 2013 at 12:40 AM
Hello:

Yes, the limit is 10,000 screen names.

On your second question, we don't have a way right now to get the network of friends and followers for five users, for example. However, we are talking about overhauling NodeXL's Twitter User Network and Twitter List Network features, given how Twitter recently imposed severe limits on some of the information we can get. (See "Changes in NodeXL's Twitter Importers" at http://nodexl.codeplex.com/discussions/437841 for more about that.) We've had other requests for the N-user network you mentioned, so that may be something we can look at.

Thank you for your suggestion.

-- Tony