Importing XML from other programs?

Oct 2, 2012 at 5:00 PM

Hello, I had a couple of questions regarding NodeXL. I've just started using it and have been poring over the book and trying to figure out features. It looks like a wonderful program.

I was wondering if there was a way to import XML data captured from Twitter in other programs? Specifically, I have been using The Archivist to collect Twitter data, and was wondering if there was an easy way to bring that into NodeXL for analysis.

On a related note...the XML data contains a "tweet content" field that has the actual tweets in them, which is where the replies and mentions are located. Is there a way in NodeXL to have the software read that field and create edges and vertices based on the replies and mentions?

Thanks, and I apologize if these have been asked before.

Oct 2, 2012 at 10:24 PM
Edited Oct 4, 2012 at 12:16 AM

The short answer is yes, you can probably get the data from your XML file into a NodeXL workbook.  Excel itself can do most of the heavy lifting.

I recommend a two-step process:

1. Use Excel's built-in ability to read XML to import the contents of your XML file into a plain Excel workbook.  For details on how to do this, open Excel's help system (In Excel 2007, it's a small round question mark icon in Excel's upper-right corner), search for "XML", and start with the "Overview of XML in Excel" topic.

2. Once you have your XML data in a plain Excel workbook, open a NodeXL workbook and select NodeXL, Data, Import, From Open Workbook in the Excel ribbon.  This will allow you to selectively copy data from the plain Excel workbook to the NodeXL workbook.

Regarding your second question, NodeXL analyzes tweet content that it gets directly from Twitter, but it will not analyze tweet content that you manually import into the workbook, from an XML file or otherwise.

-- Tony