Change default Colors

Sep 25, 2012 at 11:37 AM
Edited Sep 25, 2012 at 12:32 PM

My company is using some specific color codes (RGB) for different colors when we color the nodes in network graphs.

I know that i can write the RGB code in the "Node color" field. But it would be much more easy just to write "yellow" and then the node is colored our RGB code for yellow instead of the default yellow in NodeXl.

So my questions is: Is it possible to change the default color codes in NodeXL?

Best Regards Nadia

Sep 25, 2012 at 4:04 PM
Edited Sep 25, 2012 at 4:42 PM

Nadia:

One way to change the meaning of "Yellow" is the following:

1. Find an empty cell in the Vertices worksheet, several cells to the right of "Add Your Own Columns Here."

2. Format the cell as Text.

3. Enter your shade of yellow into the cell: "240,240,0", for example.

4. Name the cell "Yellow".  You do this by entering "Yellow" into Excel's address box near the upper-left corner of the Excel window.

5. In a Color cell on the Vertices worksheet, enter "=Yellow" instead of "Yellow".  That forces Excel to copy 240,240,0 to the cell.

The problem with this approach is that Excel often tries to autofill the entire Color column with 240,240,0.  You can turn off this autofill feature, but that will cause problems elsewhere in NodeXL,  Or you can undo the autofill by pressing Ctrl-Z immediately after entering "=Yellow", but that's a nuisance and you might forget to do it.

Perhaps someone else has an improved version of this technique or a better technique entirely.

-- Tony