Open Source File Error 400

Sep 22, 2012 at 1:25 PM

NodeXL was working fine until I downloaded the latest update. NODEXL was not able to be installed, and I received the following error message-Open Source File error 400. I am operating in Windows 7, on a 64 bit PC. The download worked just fine on another PC with the same configuration. Rebooting etc did not solve the problem. Any ideas?

Sep 22, 2012 at 3:42 PM

Are you certain that the error message said something about "Open Source File"?  I'm guessing it said something else.

Did the error message say "The installation of the ClickOnce solution failed with an exit code: -400"?  If so, try this:

1. Make sure you have all copies of Excel closed.

2. In Control Panel, Programs and Features, search for and uninstall all programs that have NodeXL in their name.  You can find all such programs using the search box in the upper-right corner of the Programs and Features window.

3. In Windows Explorer, see if this folder exists: “C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Research\Microsoft NodeXL Excel Template.”  If it exists, delete it.

4. Run the NodeXL setup program again.

If the error message isn't the "ClickOnce" message above, tell me exactly what the error message says, or at least the first sentence or two.

-- Tony

Sep 22, 2012 at 4:39 PM
Thanks I will try that . Working from my memory wasnt too smart. You are right about the error message.

Arthur Blank
Connected by DROID on Verizon Wireless

-----Original message-----
To:
aeblank@msn.com
Sent:
Sat, Sep 22, 2012 15:42:13 GMT+00:00
Subject:
Re: Open Source File Error 400 [NodeXL:396508]

Are you certain that the error message said something about "Open Source File"? I'm guessing it said something else.

Did the error message say "The installation of the ClickOnce solution failed with an exit code: -400"? If so, try this:

1. Make sure you have all copies of Excel closed.

2. In Control Panel, Programs and Features, search for and uninstall all programs that have NodeXL in their name. You can find all such programs using the search box in the upper-right corner of the Programs and Features window.

3. In Windows Explorer, see if this folder exists: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Research\Microsoft NodeXL Excel Template." If it exists, delete it.

4. Run the NodeXL setup program again.

If the error message isn't the "ClickOnce" message above, tell me exactly what the error message says, or at least the first sentence or two.

-- Tony

Sep 22, 2012 at 6:25 PM

Tony,

I had already done steps 1 and 2, but double checked.Step 3 had not been done, and I did delete the folder. When I started the NodeXL installation I received the same error message "The installation of the ClickOnce solution failed with an exit code: -400" 

Any other suggestions. I have been doing some network analysis and the loss of this software would be unfortunate.

Arthur

Sep 24, 2012 at 3:30 PM

Arthur:

This might require some detective work.

I assume that you have searched for and found no items in Programs and Features that contain the word "NodeXL".  If so, please do the following:

1. Run the Setup.exe program again.  When you get the "Error 1001: The installation of the ClickOnce solution failed" message, STOP.  Do not close the error message.

2. In Windows Explorer, navigate to this folder: "C:\Program Files (86)\Social Media Research Foundation\NodeXL Excel Template".

3. Double-click this file: "Smrf.NodeXL.ExcelTemplate.vsto".  You should get a message, probably with a "Details" button.  Please copy the message and details here.

-- Tony

Sep 25, 2012 at 3:27 AM
Tony,
I could not cut and paste so here is a retype:
Name: smrf.NodeXLExcelTemplate
From://file///C:/Program Files (x86)/Social Media Resaerch Foundation/NodeXL
Template/Smrf.NodeXLTemplate.vsto
Exception Test
System.Deployment.ApplicationDeploymentException: “Store Metadata “DeploymentProviderUri”is not valid.
at
Microsoft VisualStudio.Tools.Applications.Deployment.ClickOnceAddInDeploymentManager.GetManifests(TimeSpan timeout)
at
Microsoft.VisualStudio.Tools.Applications.Deployment.ClinckOnceAddinDEploymentManager.InstallAddIn()
Arthur
Sent: Monday, September 24, 2012 11:30 AM
To: [email removed]
Subject: Re: Open Source File Error 400 [NodeXL:396508]

Arthur:

This might require some detective work.

I assume that you have searched for and found no items in Programs and Features that contain the word "NodeXL". If so, please do the following:

1. Run the Setup.exe program again. When you get the "Error 1001: The installation of the ClickOnce solution failed" message, STOP. Do not close the error message.

2. In Windows Explorer, navigate to this folder: "C:\Program Files (86)\Social Media Research Foundation\NodeXL Excel Template".

3. Double-click this file: "Smrf.NodeXL.ExcelTemplate.vsto". You should get a message, probably with a "Details" button. Please copy the message and details here.

-- Tony

Sep 25, 2012 at 5:06 PM

Arthur:

Thank you for the details.

I don't know what caused this, although I found references to it happening with other programs at random times.  (http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-AU/vbide/thread/1A323DA4-1C25-4157-964E-F7DBA983565F, for example.)

It's possible that something called "ClickOnce" has become corrupted on your computer.  ClickOnce is a Microsoft technology that NodeXL uses to install itself on your computer.  When ClickOnce gets corrupted, you can't install any updates.

As an experiment, please try this:

1. In Windows Explorer, navigate to C:\Users\Arthur\AppData\Local, replacing "Arthur" with your actual account name.

2. Rename the "Apps" subfolder to "Apps.old".

3. Restart your computer.

4. Try to run NodeXL's Setup.exe program again.

-- Tony

Sep 26, 2012 at 12:20 AM
Tony,
Thanks. In step one I am not sure how to determine what my actual account name is. The after I restart do I rename the apps old back to apps? If I do not rename the paths as originally named will that affect other apps?
Arthur

Sent from my iPad so please excuse brevity and typos.
Arthur E. Blank

On Sep 25, 2012, at 1:06 PM, "tcap479"<notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

Arthur:

Thank you for the details.

I don't know what caused this, although I found references to it happening with other programs at random times. (http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-AU/vbide/thread/1A323DA4-1C25-4157-964E-F7DBA983565F, for example.)

It's possible that something called "ClickOnce" has become corrupted on your computer. ClickOnce is a Microsoft technology that NodeXL uses to install itself on your computer. When ClickOnce gets corrupted, you can't install any updates.

As an experiment, please try this:

1. In Windows Explorer, navigate to C:\Users\Arthur\AppData\Local, replacing "Arthur" with your actual account name.

2. Rename the "Apps" subfolder to "Apps.old".

3. Restart your computer.

4. Try to run NodeXL's Setup.exe program again.

-- Tony

Sep 26, 2012 at 3:38 PM

Arthur:

Sorry, I was too brief there.  Please do the following.

1. Find out your Windows account name.  Several easy ways to do so can be found at http://freewindowsvistatutorials.com/whatIsMyUserNameFindOutYourCurrentUsernameInWindows7.php.

2. In Windows Explorer, navigate to C:\Users\Arthur\AppData\Local, replacing "Arthur" with your actual Windows account name.

3. Rename the "Apps" subfolder to "Apps.old".  (The "Apps" subfolder is where ClickOnce applications get installed.  When you rename or delete the subfolder, any other ClickOnce applications you have on your computer will automatically reinstall themselves the next time you run them.  However, it's highly unlikely you have any such applications besides NodeXL, so renaming the subfolder will likely have no effect on anything except NodeXL.)

4. Restart your computer.

5. Try to run NodeXL's Setup.exe program again.

6. Let me know what happens.

If this doesn't fix the problem, there is one other trick we can try, although it involves editing the registry.

-- Tony

Sep 29, 2012 at 3:09 PM
Tony,
Finally home and tried this. Interesting. I found my user name –it is Arthur-but there was no \AppData\Local in the directory C:\Users:\Arthur. Windows Explorer did find an Apps Data folder but it was buried in other directories-e.g. Firefox. Any clues?
Arthur
Sent: Wednesday, September 26, 2012 11:38 AM
To: [email removed]
Subject: Re: Open Source File Error 400 [NodeXL:396508]

Arthur:

Sorry, I was too brief there. Please do the following.

1. Find out your Windows account name. Several easy ways to do so can be found at http://freewindowsvistatutorials.com/whatIsMyUserNameFindOutYourCurrentUsernameInWindows7.php.

2. In Windows Explorer, navigate to C:\Users\Arthur\AppData\Local, replacing "Arthur" with your actual Windows account name.

3. Rename the "Apps" subfolder to "Apps.old". (The "Apps" subfolder is where ClickOnce applications get installed. When you rename or delete the subfolder, any other ClickOnce applications you have on your computer will automatically reinstall themselves the next time you run them. However, it's highly unlikely you have any such applications besides NodeXL, so renaming the subfolder will likely have no effect on anything except NodeXL.)

4. Restart your computer.

5. Try to run NodeXL's Setup.exe program again.

6. Let me know what happens.

If this doesn't fix the problem, there is one other trick we can try, although it involves editing the registry.

-- Tony

Sep 29, 2012 at 6:21 PM
Edited Sep 29, 2012 at 7:11 PM

I think AppData is hidden by default, so Windows Explorer won't show it while you're attempting to navigate to it.  But Windows Explorer will take you there if you copy this path directly into the address bar:

C:\Users\Arthur\AppData\Local

-- Tony