a bundle of questions

Nov 10, 2008 at 2:52 PM
sorry to bug you guys, but this is the only way I can figure out what the heck I'm doing. instead of sending a couple questions I'm just going to post 5 on here to save some time.

1) Can I export the sociogram or graph so that it can be put into a word processing program for a paper? (Latex is preferable).

2) Is there a way to find out what each column in the vertices and edges tabs would do? (other than the short blurb that is there when you hover over the column)

3) When highlighting a node with all it's connections, I see there is an average, count, and sum on the bottom of the excel workbook window. Is there a way to get these numbers without having to highlight each node individually?

4) How do you assign edges to vertices so when on the vertices tab I can click on a vertice and have it show up in the document actions window?

5) Is there a way to get some kind of descriptive statistics from the workbook or document actions window? (similar to the question above) any kind of description would be nice.

finally,

6) I use 2 computers, one at home and one at the office. I worked on a project for over 12 hours yesterday, saved it to a flashdrive, came in to work today expecting it to open up on this computer (both computers have .NetMap and office 2007) and I get an error message saying the vertices tab can't be opened and because of that the file that is on my flashdrive will open in excel, but not in .netmap. did I do something wrong? or is there a special way to save the file so it can be opened trouble free on any computer with .netmap?

Sorry for the bombardment of questions.

Thanks again for all the help you have given me so far.

Maureen
Nov 10, 2008 at 3:25 PM
an add on to #6. I went home to try and open the file on my home computer and it won't open there either, which is a little frustrating because I spent so much time on it yesterday. any suggestions on how I can open/ recover this file would be great.
Nov 11, 2008 at 12:10 AM
Maureen:

1) To save the graph image to a file that you can import into a word processing program, right-click in the graph pane and select Save Image to File.  The image will be the same size as the graph pane, so resize the pane before you save the image.  You can drag the graph pane out of Excel if necessary.  For the highest quality, save the image in the TIFF format.

I'll get back to you on the other questions shortly.

-- Tony
Nov 11, 2008 at 12:31 AM
Edited Nov 11, 2008 at 12:37 AM
2) Not yet.  We don't have a .NetMap manual, although we're working on getting one written.

3) Those statistics you're seeing in Excel's status bar are a built-in Excel feature that works with any workbook, not just a .NetMap workbook.  If you want your own statistics, you can insert any Excel formula in some cell outside the edge and vertex tables.  (The tables are distinguishable by their alternating-stripe background colors.)  For example, to find the average of the numbers in cells H1 through H20, you would insert the formula "=AVERAGE(H2:H20)".  There are many ways to specify a range of cells, including an entire table column: "=AVERAGE(Edges[Tie Strength])" gives you the average of all the numbers in the Tie Strength column on the Edges table, for example.

4) I don't understand the question.  The Vertices worksheet automatically gets filled with the names of each unique vertex entered in the Edges worksheet.  What is it you want to do here?

5) .NetMap will calculate a small set of graph metrics for you.  In the .NetMap ribbon, click the down-arrow to the right of the Calculate Graph Metrics button in the Analysis ribbon group, and select Select Graph Metrics.  If those metrics don't give you what you want, you can use a vast range of Excel formulas to calculate your own statistics.  Click the Formulas ribbon for details.
Nov 11, 2008 at 12:36 AM
6) Please post the message that appears when you try to open the workbook.  You should be able to copy-and-paste the message.  If there is a "Details" button on the message box that appears, please post the details, too.  I don't know what's going wrong on your machine (it works fine for me), so I need more information.

Thanks,
    Tony
Nov 11, 2008 at 1:00 AM
This is the error message that I'm getting when I try to open the file with my data

This document might not function as expected because the following control is missing: Vertices. Data that relies on this control will not be automatically displayed or updated, and other custom functionality will not be available. Contact your administrator or the author of this document for further assistance.

************** Exception Text **************
Microsoft.VisualStudio.Tools.Applications.Runtime.ControlNotFoundException: This document might not function as expected because the following control is missing: Vertices. Data that relies on this control will not be automatically displayed or updated, and other custom functionality will not be available. Contact your
Nov 11, 2008 at 1:27 AM
Edited Nov 11, 2008 at 1:28 AM
Maureen:

Yes, that's what I needed.  It looks to me as if you deleted the workbook's Vertices worksheet.  (If I'm wrong, let me know.)  .NetMap won't work without all of its worksheets.  I've filed a bug report on this, and in a future version the program will stop you from deleting necessary worksheets.

To recover your workbook data, go ahead and click OK on the error messages so you can get to the Edges worksheet.  (The Edges worksheet is still there, no?)  Then create a new .NetMap workbook, (Round Office Button, New, My Templates, NetMapGraph.xltx), copy all the edge data from the old Edges worksheet, and paste it into the new Edges worksheet.  If while pasting you get some informational (albeit confusing) messages from Excel about "a formula or sheet you want to move or copy contains the name...", click Yes for each message.

Now the new workbook should work just fine, and so long as you don't delete any worksheets, you can save it and reopen it on either machine.

-- Tony

Nov 11, 2008 at 2:05 AM
I'm soo glad my workbook isn't lost, and will (hopefully) ne useable. In my original file there is still a vertices tab and there is still information in it, I copied and pasted the data into a new workbook as suggested, which worked. When I went to click 'Calculate Graph Matrics' I got the following error message

"The worksheet names "Edges" must have a table names "Edges" that contains edge data followed by a message saying teh easiest way to use microsoft .NetMap is to create a new workbook from Excel.

- Maureen
Nov 11, 2008 at 4:00 AM
Are you able to send me the original, defective workbook?  If so, I'll give you a one-time email address to which you can send it, and I'll try to fix it for you.  If not, I'll try to step you through some tests to help track down the latest problem, which I don't quite understand.  (If it's a new workbook and "Read Workbook" works, then so should "Calculate Graph Metrics.")

-- Tony
Nov 11, 2008 at 4:03 AM
yes I can send it to you
On Nov 10, 2008, at 10:00 PM, tcap479 wrote:

Are you able to send me the original, defective workbook? If so, I'll give you a one-time email address to which you can send it, and I'll try to fix it for you. If not, I'll try to step you through some tests to help track down the latest problem, which I don't quite understand. (If it's a new workbook and "Read Workbook" works, then so should "Calculate Graph Metrics.")

-- Tony

Nov 11, 2008 at 4:20 AM
Please check the email account you used to register at CodePlex.  I just had CodePlex forward an email containing a one-time address.

-- Tony
Nov 11, 2008 at 5:10 AM
The problem was a missing table and header row in the Vertices worksheet.  I restored the table and that seems to have fixed the problem.

I'm not sure how to prevent the table from being accidentally deleted, but at least I now know the consequences.

-- Tony