NodeXL Custom Attribute View Window

Aug 23, 2012 at 2:51 PM

I am new to NodeXL but loving it so far.  I was wondering if there is a way to create a custom graph pane, similar to how the legend appears, that shows a summarized view of an edge's/vertice's attributes when it is selected?

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I am hoping to use NodeXL for a research experiment but this feature is critical for it to work.

Aug 24, 2012 at 12:23 AM
Edited Aug 24, 2012 at 12:24 AM

I assume you are a programmer.  Are you planning to use the NodeXLControl* in your own custom application, or do you intend to customize the NodeXL Excel Template?  In either case the answer is "yes," although the implementations would be different.

For example, if you have a custom application that uses the NodeXL control, you can store arbitrary data as key/value pairs on the graph's vertices.  Then when a user clicks on a vertex in the control, you can handle the NodeXLControl.VertexClick event.  That event tells you which vertex was clicked, and you can read and display the clicked vertex data in some other control.

-- Tony

* The NodeXLControl displays a graph in WPF or Windows Forms applications.  It is used in the NodeXL Excel Template application, but it is general purpose and can be used in other applications as well.

Aug 24, 2012 at 12:25 AM

The NodeXLControl is part of the "NodeXL Class Libraries," which are available on the Downloads tab at

-- Tony

Aug 24, 2012 at 7:28 PM

Hi Tony,

Thanks for your response.  Unfortunately I am not a programmer, so what I am hoping to do is to customize the NodeXL Excel Template.  I really just need an area on the graph that provides attribute data when an edge or vertice is selected.   Similar to how the edge/vertice worksheet pages highlight the associated rows when one is selected, but just have that information presented in a distinct window of the graph.

Is this possible?  If so, how can I edit the NodeXL Excel Template?

Thanks for the help!

Aug 24, 2012 at 7:34 PM

One work around might be to add the information you want to the Vertex Tooltip.  There is a column in the Vertices Worksheet called Tooltip.  You can build an Excel formula that concatenates the text content of other columns using the "&" operator.  When your user hovers the mouse over a Vertex the tooltip will appear with any information you have stored in the tooltip cell for that Vertex row.

Aug 24, 2012 at 11:41 PM

Hi Mark (&Tony),

I was able to accomplish my goal by using a basic Macro that copies the data based on the row being selected of the active datasheet.  It copies it from the row then updates a custom user form.  Then I'm using the tooltip feature to display a few key attributes per your recommendation Mark.

So looks like I'll be able to use NodeXL for my experiment :)  Lifesaver

Thanks for your input!