Flickr related tags

Aug 21, 2012 at 9:29 AM

Hi all,

hope this finds you well. I'm keeping on with my research activities that are extensively employing NodeXl in all its potential :)

I am focussing now on Flickr and tags in particular. 

I see on Flickr there are pictures tagged with the string SE NON ORA QUANDO in various versions - as senonoraquando / se non ora quando/ Se non ora quando? /#senonoraquando etc.

If i search on the seach box for "se non ora quando" i get a bunch of pictures that are exactly what i am looking for and they have other tags beside the ones i just said - such CORTEO, MANIFESTAZIONE etc. 

Yet, if i try to import the related tags network for "se non ora quando" NodeXl tells me that there are no related tags... maybe it is a problem due to the fact that the tag has spaces in it? but i don't get anything even when i try senonoraquando as a one word. 

Is there a threshold beyond which nodexl consider two tags related? i.e., if once the tag A is associated with tag B then it is not enough to become a correlation?

Or perhaps i am doing something wrong?

thanks in advance!

elena

Aug 22, 2012 at 4:51 AM

Hello, Elena:

I'm pleased to hear that you find NodeXL useful in your work.

NodeXL doesn't actually do the related-tag work itself.  It merely passes your request to a service provided by Flickr, and Flickr is responding that there are no tags related to your particular text.  To confirm that NodeXL isn't messing anything up here, I went to a "test page" that Flickr provides at http://www.flickr.com/services/api/explore/flickr.tags.getRelated.  Entering your text gives the same results there, namely nothing.

Flickr's documentation doesn't say much about how it determines what's related to what, except that it's "based on clustered usage analysis."  You might post your question on the Flickr API forum at http://www.flickr.com/groups/api.  Perhaps the programmers who monitor that forum might be able to shed some light on the issue.

Sorry I don't have a better answer for you.

-- Tony

Aug 23, 2012 at 10:04 PM
Well, your answers are always super useful.

I was pretty sure that it was something on Flickr side.. I'll find a way to work it around with lots of patience :)

later on today i will have some updates on twitter mapping large networks - after july i did work on several stuff.

thanks thanks!
elena

2012/8/22 tcap479 <notifications@codeplex.com>

Hello, Elena:

I'm pleased to hear that you find NodeXL useful in your work.

NodeXL doesn't actually do the related-tag work itself. It merely passes your request to a service provided by Flickr, and Flickr is responding that there are no tags related to your particular text. To confirm that NodeXL isn't messing anything up here, I went to a "test page" that Flickr provides at http://www.flickr.com/services/api/explore/flickr.tags.getRelated. Entering your text gives the same results there, namely nothing.

Flickr's documentation doesn't say much about how it determines what's related to what, except that it's "based on clustered usage analysis." You might post your question on the Flickr API forum at http://www.flickr.com/groups/api. Perhaps the programmers who monitor that forum might be able to shed some light on the issue.

Sorry I don't have a better answer for you.

-- Tony

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (NodeXL@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email NodeXL@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe on CodePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at CodePlex.com

--

Elena Pavan, Ph.D.
Post Doctoral Research Fellow
Dipartimento di Sociologia e Ricerca Sociale
Università di Trento
via Verdi 26, 38122 Trento (Italy)
tel: +39 0461 28 1378
Twitter: @reaction_info