Problems with Merging Duplicate Edges

Aug 2, 2012 at 3:23 PM

I've attempted to merge duplicate edges for several different datasets of Youtube video data and each time I receive a message saying that "An unexpected problem occured" then the details say

"[COMException]: PasteSpecial method of Range class failed"

Then some other text which is too long to retype here

Has anybody else had this problem?  Any solutions?

Thanks!

Kashef

Aug 2, 2012 at 3:42 PM

I'm not sure about the issue you're experiencing, but when an error message comes up, you can copy it by pressing Ctrl + C and then you can paste the exact message here without having to type it all out. 

Aug 2, 2012 at 3:46 PM
doe343 wrote:

I'm not sure about the issue you're experiencing, but when an error message comes up, you can copy it by pressing Ctrl + C and then you can paste the exact message here without having to type it all out. 

---------------------------
NodeXL
An unexpected problem occurred.  If it occurs again, please copy the details to the clipboard by typing Ctrl-C, then post the details to http://www.codeplex.com/NodeXL/Thread/List.aspx.

Details:

[COMException]: PasteSpecial method of Range class failed

Server stack trace:

Exception rethrown at [0]:

at System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.HandleReturnMessage(IMessage reqMsg, IMessage retMsg)

at System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.PrivateInvoke(MessageData& msgData, Int32 type)

at Microsoft.Office.Interop.Excel.Range.PasteSpecial(XlPasteType Paste, XlPasteSpecialOperation Operation, Object SkipBlanks, Object Transpose)

at Smrf.AppLib.ExcelUtil.PasteValues(Range range)

at Smrf.AppLib.ExcelTableUtil.TryAddTableColumnWithRowNumbers(ListObject table, String columnName, Double columnWidthChars, String columnStyle, ListColumn& listColumn)

at Smrf.NodeXL.ExcelTemplate.DuplicateEdgeMerger.DeleteDuplicateEdges(ListObject oEdgeTable, Object[,] aoVertex1NameValues, Object[,] aoVertex2NameValues, Object[,] aoThirdColumnValues, Boolean bGraphIsDirected)

at Smrf.NodeXL.ExcelTemplate.DuplicateEdgeMerger.MergeDuplicateEdges(Workbook workbook, Boolean countDuplicateEdges, Boolean deleteDuplicateEdges, String thirdColumnNameForDuplicateDetection)

at Smrf.NodeXL.ExcelTemplate.ThisWorkbook.MergeDuplicateEdges(Boolean bEditMergeDuplicateEdgesUserSettings)
OK  

Aug 2, 2012 at 4:43 PM

Kashef:

I can't get the problem to occur on my computer, so maybe I'm not following the same steps as you.  Do you have a workbook for which the problem occurs every time?  If so, please go to http://nodexl.codeplex.com/workitem/23117 and attach the workbook file there.  If I can get the problem to occur, I should be able to figure out what's going on.

Thanks,
    Tony

Aug 2, 2012 at 4:50 PM

Hi Tony,

I just uploaded the file.  Let me know if you have any luck.  Any idea what any of the error messages mean?

Thanks!

Kashef

Aug 2, 2012 at 5:14 PM

Thanks for the file.  Here is what I've tried so far:

1. I opened the file.

2. I went to NodeXL, Data, Prepare Data, Count and Merge Duplicate Edges.

3. In the Count and Merge Duplicate Edges dialog box, I left the settings as-is (count duplicate edges checked, merge duplicate edges checked, Vertex 1 and Vertex 2), then clicked OK.

I still couldn't get the problem to occur.  Is there something else I need to do?

If we're both following the same steps and the problem occurs for you but not for me, then I'll have to try to figure out what else might be different on our two computers.  I was hoping I would immediately see the problem once I had your workbook.

Thanks,
    Tony

Aug 2, 2012 at 5:20 PM
Hi Tony,

When I reopened the workbook it worked, perhaps the issue was that I needed to save the file first. I'll keep you posted if the error reoccurs.

Thanks!

Kashef

To: [email removed]
Date: Thu, 2 Aug 2012 10:14:12 -0700
Subject: Re: Problems with Merging Duplicate Edges [NodeXL:390014]

Thanks for the file. Here is what I've tried so far:
1. I opened the file.
2. I went to NodeXL, Data, Prepare Data, Count and Merge Duplicate Edges.
3. In the Count and Merge Duplicate Edges dialog box, I left the settings as-is (count duplicate edges checked, merge duplicate edges checked, Vertex 1 and Vertex 2), then clicked OK.
I still couldn't get the problem to occur. Is there something else I need to do?
If we're both following the same steps and the problem occurs for you but not for me, then I'll have to try to figure out what else might be different on our two computers. I was hoping I would immediately see the problem once I had your workbook.
Thanks,
Tony

Read the full discussion online.
To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (NodeXL@discussions.codeplex.com)
To start a new discussion for this project, email NodeXL@discussions.codeplex.com
You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe on CodePlex.com.
Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at CodePlex.com
Aug 2, 2012 at 5:36 PM

Yes, please do.

You shouldn't have to save the workbook before merging edges.  It should just work.

Thanks,
    Tony