Installation Problem with Netmap

Oct 26, 2008 at 3:48 PM
I need help.  I have tried to install NetMap on a PC which has both Office 2003 and Office 2007 running successfully side by side. However, when I try to install NetMap I get an error that says "It appears that Office 2007 is not installed.  The Microsoft Excel Netmap Template requires Office 2007"  How can I install the template add-in otherwise?
Oct 26, 2008 at 6:15 PM
Edited Oct 27, 2008 at 6:32 AM
Dee:

The .NetMap setup program is looking for Office 2007 in its standard location.  I'm assuming you installed it somewhere else.  Follow these steps to work around this problem:

1. Create the following empty folder (spelled exactly as you see here, spaces and all):  C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12
  2. Copy a file into this folder and rename it to Excel.exe.  Any file will do -- there just has to be a file named Excel.exe in the folder for the setup program to work.
  3. Run the .NetMap setup program again.
  4. After the setup completes, delete the C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12 folder.  (THIS APPLIES ONLY IF YOU CREATED AN EMPTY FOLDER IN STEP 1!  You don't wan't to delete a real Office 12 folder.)
I'll file a bug report about this.  The setup program should be able to detect non-standard locations.

Thanks,
     Tony
Oct 27, 2008 at 6:28 AM
I've fixed this bug in the version I'm working on now.  The fix will show up in version 1.0.1.59 of the .NetMap Excel 2007 Template.  For versions 1.0.1.57 and 1.0.1.58, the workaround outlined above should allow the .NetMap setup program to run on machines for which Office 2007 was installed in a non-standard location.

-- Tony
Oct 28, 2008 at 2:20 PM
Tony, Thanks for the fix.  It worked!  Although, I had to copy the actual Excel executable file into the directory before it would work.  When I tried to create a text file named Excel.exe it would not recognize it as the real thing.