Import YouTube Video Network Error

Jul 16, 2012 at 4:43 PM

I've successfully imported video networks from YouTube recently, but when I tried to today I got the following error. 

---------------------------NodeXL---------------------------The network couldn't be obtained.  Details:

[XmlException]: The 'meta' start tag on line 5 does not match the end tag of 'head'. Line 6, position 3.---------------------------OK   ---------------------------

I'm running Version 1.0.1.218, and this error comes up no matter what options I select under YouTube Video Network. I've tried restarting NodeXL as well as restarting the my computer, but still having the issue. Other Import features, like Twitter, are working just fine. 

Anyone else experiencing this issue?

Jul 17, 2012 at 6:25 AM

It's working fine for me, including with the default "NodeXL" search term.  I do not know offhand what is causing this on your computer.  Please try it again tomorrow, on the chance that there is a glitch in some (but not all) of the YouTube servers that is affecting you but not me.

-- Tony

Jul 17, 2012 at 12:50 PM

I just tried running it again, even with the default settings with NodeXL, and still same error message. I tried restarting my computer again, and still the same problem.

Jul 17, 2012 at 4:11 PM
Edited Jul 18, 2012 at 3:21 PM

1. Do you get exactly the same error message every time you try it, or does it vary?

2. Have you connected your computer to a different network since you last successfully imported from YouTube?  A different Wi-Fi network, perhaps?

The fact that it works every time for me and fails every time for you makes me think that either we're connected to different YouTube servers, one working properly and one not, or the problem is somewhere in your network connection.  Nothing has changed recently in NodeXL's YouTube features, so at the moment I don't suspect a problem within NodeXL.

Perhaps other NodeXL users reading this can try NodeXL, Data, Import, From YouTube Video Network with the default dialog box settings and report whether it works for them.

-- Tony

Jul 17, 2012 at 8:24 PM
tcap479 wrote:

1. Do you get exactly the same error message every time you try it, or does it vary?

2. Have you connected your computer to a different network since you last successfully imported from YouTube?  A different WiFi network, perhaps?

The fact that it works every time for me and fails every time for you makes me think that either we're connected to different YouTube servers, one working properly and one not, or the problem is somewhere in your network connection.  Nothing has changed recently in NodeXL's YouTube features, so at the moment I don't suspect a problem within NodeXL.

Perhaps other NodeXL users reading this can try NodeXL, Data, Import, From YouTube Video Network with the default dialog box settings and report whether it works for them.

-- Tony

Thanks for your help. 

1. Same error message, word for word, does not vary. 

2. Nothing that I know have has changed with my computer. I'm plugged into Ethernet, so unless something beyond my control has changed, I'm not sure. 

I'll keep trying, hopefully it's just something with the server I'm connected to. 

Thanks for your help!

Jul 18, 2012 at 12:14 AM
Edited Jul 18, 2012 at 3:20 PM

If your computer happens to be a laptop and you can try it on another network, whether it's Ethernet or Wi-Fi, that would be a useful experiment.  I'm not seeing any reports of problems with YouTube's servers on the YouTube developer forums (https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups#!forum/youtube-api-gdata), so my next guess is that it's something with your network.  Are you on a corporate network where access to the Internet is limited?

-- Tony

Jul 19, 2012 at 12:31 PM

Ended up being something with my network, as it's working fine now. Thanks for your help!

Jul 19, 2012 at 10:09 PM

Good, thanks for letting me know.

-- Tony