Node Borders on 3d Models

Jul 11, 2012 at 3:57 PM
Edited Jul 11, 2012 at 4:03 PM

Hi,

I hope this isn't a stupid question but is there a way to display images as labelled nodes without borders round them?

I produce networks of mechanical parts and generate images from 3D views of these.  E.g.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/9915086/2ValveNetworkLabelled.png

These might look better without borders round the parts I think.

Frank

Jul 11, 2012 at 5:14 PM
Edited Jul 11, 2012 at 5:16 PM

Frank:

NodeXL always draws a border around images; you can't turn that off.  However, if you set the Color cell for an Image vertex, NodeXL will use that color for the image's border.  If you have a white background, setting the Color cell to White will make the border seem to disappear.  The border will still be there, but it will be indistinguishable from the graph's background.

The problem with this is that edges, which always end at the borders, will appear to end a slight distance from the image.  See if you can live with that.

If all your vertices are images and you want to do this for every image, an alternative to setting every Color cell to White is to right-click the graph pane, select Graph Options from the right-click menu, select the Vertices tab in the Graph Options dialog box, and set the Color to White.

-- Tony

Jul 11, 2012 at 7:16 PM

Thanks Tony, I've tried that and it works. That's a big help for the papers that I'm working on.

For the more complex stuff I might be able to overlay 2 images, one with edges and white circles for nodes and another with no edges but b/w images for nodes.  On the second one I could use Photoshop or similar to turn the 'white' to transparent and then lay this on top of the first image.

My long term aim is to do all this with a large (200 nodes) network with high-res images to produce an A0 high quality glossy poster so I might need to rethink all this in vector graphics. 

Thanks again,

Frank