Vertex Degree

Jul 9, 2012 at 3:16 PM

Hey all

I am confused as to my data . Some of my vertex have degree while some are left blank after generating the graph metrics. Is there an explanation to why these vertexs dont have degree ?

Thank you

cody

Jul 9, 2012 at 4:09 PM

Cody:

You can find information about NodeXL's graph metrics by clicking a "Details" button in the Graph Metrics dialog box.  For example, clicking Details for Degree shows this:

"In an undirected graph, a vertex's degree is the number of edges incident to the vertex.  In a directed graph, degree is undefined and is not computed."

-- Tony

Jul 10, 2012 at 1:27 AM

hey tony

thanks for the reply. However, i have checked that the direction of graph is set at undirected before generating the graph metrics.

Thank you

Jul 10, 2012 at 1:46 AM
Edited Jul 10, 2012 at 1:49 AM

Cody:

Are the vertices with empty Degree cells actually a part of the graph?  Do they get selected in the graph pane when you select them in the Vertices worksheet?  NodeXL won't calculate graph metrics for vertices that aren't part of the graph.

One way a vertex can be in the Vertices worksheet but not be a part of the graph is if it is isolated, meaning it has no edges, and its Visibility is not set to Show.

-- Tony

Jul 10, 2012 at 4:04 AM
Edited Jul 10, 2012 at 4:05 AM

Thanks Tony ,

Do you know of any formula that will match vertex column in vertices worksheet with the vertex  column in group vertices worksheet to return the group no to be placed in the vertices worksheet ?

Coordinator
Jul 10, 2012 at 4:09 AM
Edited Jul 10, 2012 at 4:09 AM
Hello!
These formula may be useful:
Vertices: =INDEX(GroupVertices, MATCH(Vertices[[#This Row],[Vertex]], GroupVertices[Vertex], 0), 1)

Edges: =INDEX(GroupVertices, MATCH(Edges[[#This Row],[Vertex 1]],GroupVertices[Vertex],0), 1)

%Reciprocated?: =COUNTIFS(Edges[Vertex1],[@Vertex],Edges[Reciprocated?],"Yes")/COUNTIF(Edges[[Vertex1]:[Vertex 2]],[@Vertex])
Jul 11, 2012 at 1:26 AM

Thank you Marc & Tony !

Works !