Word-Pair on NodeXL

Jul 3, 2012 at 1:40 AM

Hey all ,

I would like to do text analysis on NodeXL. Currently, i have 1 column with many rows of words. Could i just feed it into NodeXL to see the network graph ? Or do i have to define the edges first ?

Perhaps, i could work with the original file of just strings of words in the message ?

I cant have any concrete idea to start off with still.

Thank you

cody

Jul 3, 2012 at 6:03 AM
Edited Jul 3, 2012 at 6:04 AM

Cody:

NodeXL will count word pairs it finds in a network.  You don't have a network--you have only a column of words--so getting it to do what you want it to do is going to be awkward.  Here are instructions anyway.

1. Create a new NodeXL workbook.

2. Add a column to the right edge of the Edges worksheet.  Call it Words.

3. Paste your words into the Words column.  That adds rows to the Edges worksheet, but NodeXL will ignore the rows because the Vertex 1 and Vertex 2 columns are empty.

4. For every row that got added in step 3, fill in the Vertex 1 and Vertex 2 cells with anything; it makes no difference what's in the cells so long as they aren't empty.

5. Go to NodeXL, Analysis, Graph Metrics.

6. In the Graph Metrics dialog box, check "Word pairs," then click the right-arrow button next to "Word pairs."

7. In the Word Pair Metrics dialog box, select the Words column on the Edges worksheet, then click OK.

8. In the Graph Metrics dialog box, click Calculate Metrics.  This adds a Word Pairs worksheet to the workbook.

If you want to make a network out of the word pair counts:

9. Select the Word Pairs worksheet.

10. Create another NodeXL workbook.

11. In the other NodeXL workbook, go to NodeXL, Data, Import, From Open Workbook and follow the instructions there.

-- Tony