Ego networks

Jun 20, 2012 at 7:10 PM

Hello! I have a 600x600 network of individuals around the world connected to each other, and I have calculated the metrics for each node based on their position in the entire network. But now I'm curious to see each node's metrics based on their position within a subset of the entire network. In a previous thread, someone had suggested that I would need to somehow export parts of the original matrix into a new nodexl file and re-run the metrics that way. Is this still the best solution? And how do I export a part of the original matrix?

Thanks for your help!!!

Jun 21, 2012 at 4:43 AM
Edited Jun 21, 2012 at 4:43 AM

You can select the part of the graph you want to export, then use NodeXL, Data, Export, Selection to New NodeXL Workbook.

If you want to export a vertex's subgraph, which is the vertex, its incident edges and its adjacent vertices, see "Can I make a subgraph for just one node?" at

This may not be useful in your case, but you can also group the graph's vertices, then tell NodeXL to calculate graph metrics for each group, all without doing any exporting to a new workbook.  For information on grouping the graph's vertices, go to NodeXL, Help, Help and see the "Creating Groups" topic.  To calculate the metrics for each group, go to NodeXL, Analysis, Graph Metrics and check the "Group metrics" checkbox.

-- Tony