adding custom vertex shapes

Jun 13, 2012 at 5:05 PM

Hi All, I'm new to NodeXL, but am very excited about applying some of the functionality to organizational mapping and information flow.  To that end I was trying to figure out if I could add an additional vertex shape - a person icon that would be scale-able and shade-able.  I've been able to add one is as an image, but i cannot systematically manipulate the color based on my other factors (I have to link to an entirely different image for each shade).

I have the shape that I would be happy to share (I'm not sure of the format needed, it's sitting in power point right now).

Thanks, James

Jun 13, 2012 at 7:24 PM
Edited Jun 13, 2012 at 7:25 PM

James:

You've already discovered the only way to add a custom vertex shape, which is by creating an image and referencing it in the Image File column on the Vertices worksheet.

Regarding color, NodeXL will draw a colored border around images if you fill in the Color column on the Vertices worksheet.  If that doesn't provide enough differentiation, and it probably doesn't, then you will indeed need a different image for each color.

NodeXL will scale the image based on the Size column on the Vertices worksheet, so you don't need a different image for each size.

-- Tony

Jun 16, 2012 at 12:50 AM

Thanks Tony, I figured as much... I was hoping it would be as easy as adding a custom shape to a library, but I guess there are lots of other impacts in doing that. If in some future release you are looking for additional shapes, let me know I have some good ones.

-james