graphing unconnected vertices

Jun 7, 2012 at 6:43 PM

Hi --

I am fairly new to NodeXL and this seems like a pretty simple problem, but I am really having a hard time.

I am working with some bibliographic citation data showing co-authorship relationships among scholars in a certain field. The file I originally imported into NodeXL was the co-authorship list (an edge list with an author name in each of the two vertex columns, and a number in the third column indicating the number of occurrences of co-authorship).

Now, I'd like to go back and add some authors who are also in the network, but have not co-authored, as unconnected vertices to this graph. I have manually entered them into the vertices sheet, but they do not appear in the graph. When I highlight the rows with the  new unconnected vertices and try to choose Lay out again> Lay out selected vertices -- that option is greyed out.

I'm guessing there is a filter (?) somewhere that is filtering out vertices with a degree of 0?

Or vertices are just being pulled from the edges list?

Hmmm.

Thanks!

Jun 7, 2012 at 6:46 PM
Edited Jun 7, 2012 at 6:49 PM

To add an isolated (unconnected) vertex to the graph:

1. Select the Vertices worksheet.

2. Enter the name of the vertex in the first empty cell in the Vertex column.

3. Set the Visibility cell for the new vertex row to Show. If you don't see a Visibility column on the Vertices worksheet, show the Visual Properties column group using NodeXL, Show/Hide, Workbook Columns.

For more information, go to NodeXL, Help, Help in the ribbon and select the "Graphs with Isolated Vertices" topic.

-- Tony

Jun 7, 2012 at 6:55 PM

Thank you - that was embarrassingly simple.

Jun 7, 2012 at 7:14 PM

It's not obvious.  That's why I keep a quick answer ready.

-- Tony