Visualization: Vertices as Twitter User Images

Jun 6, 2012 at 2:55 PM

I've seen some examples of Twitter networks where nodes were shown as Twitter User Images, and I'm having trouble recreating that on my own. After I import my Twitter data, I see the column which contains the Image File, but how do I set that as the vertices on the graph?

Jun 6, 2012 at 3:49 PM
Edited Jun 6, 2012 at 11:59 PM

Doe343:

The easiest way to get NodeXL to show the images listed in the Image File column on the Vertices worksheet is this:

1. Right-click the graph pane and select Graph Options from the right-click menu.  (There is also a Graph Options button at the top of the graph pane, if your graph pane is wide enough.)

2. In the Graph Options dialog box, click the Vertices tab.

3. On the Vertices tab, change the Shape to "Image".

That will change the vertices to images in your workbook.  If you want this change to "stick" for all new workbooks, do this:

4. In the ribbon, click NodeXL, Options, Use Current for New.

You can also change the Shape for individual vertices by setting the Shape cells on the Vertices worksheet, although that probably wouldn't be useful for your Twitter networks.

-- Tony

Sep 26, 2012 at 3:23 PM

Hi Tony

I hope you can help. When I try the above it works fine then after some manipulations of the graph e.g. grouping by cluster, the images are lost and I cannot reset them back. Similarly if i do all my graph manipulations first and then try and set vertices to images I have no luck. I select image from the drop down menu as suggested but no changes result after refreshing graph - disks remain.

Any suggestions would be gratefully appreciated.

best

Michael

Sep 26, 2012 at 3:49 PM

Michael:

The key here is that you have grouped your vertices by cluster.

When your graph has groups, NodeXL makes each group distinguishable by assigning a color and shape to each of the group's vertices.  The color and shape override any colors and shapes you have entered on the Vertices worksheet.

You can tell NodeXL to use the colors and shapes on the Vertices worksheet instead of NodeXL's own colors.  To do so, go to NodeXL, Analysis, Groups, Group Options on the Excel ribbon and read the instructions in the Group Options dialog box.

More information about this can be found in the "How Groups Are Shown in the Graph Pane" topic at NodeXL, Help, Help.

-- Tony 

Sep 26, 2012 at 3:52 PM

Many thanks Tony

cheers

Apr 5, 2013 at 5:21 PM
One more thing to add that I just discovered. If you have done all of the above and still do not see your image after refreshing, then check to make sure that you do not have a shape number specified in column K under shapes. It appears that the shape takes priority if set over image.

jeffld